VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Leading To Cad And Cabg

Rate this question

saturneptune

Question

With a 10% rating for hypertension, how hard is it to make a connection to CAD? Also I have had a six way bypass operation. They scheduled a C and P exam two weeks after the operation then cancelled it, but are still working on the new claim. Has anyone else had this happen?

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have CAD, and my BP skyrockets during angina attacks. They increased my SC hypertension from 0 to 10%. I never thought about claiming ED...what is the rating schedule for ED?

John said:

"I think they try to underplay the cart before the horse issue and say that if you have cad first then it is not associated to HTN or even DMII when either way it is still agravates ther CAD. Same for OSA."

He is right- not only can a vet claim HTN as secondary to SC CAD, they can also claim the HTN is aggravated by the SC CAD.

It still takes medical evidence however.

VA also likes to call HTN as "essential" in nature-meaning they either don't know what causes it or they don't want to say it is secondary to anything that would lead the VA to SC it.

A real doctor with cardio background would -as likely as not- find a medical association of HBP (HTN) to most any type of established heart disease.Or find that a SC heart condition is aggravating the blood pressure.It just makes sense.

Then again maybe there are known cases where the HBP has nothing to do with a heart condition.

Still- VA would have to come up with a strong medical rationale to deny HBP as secondary to CAD.But even a weak rationale from a VA doc can set up a denial.

Mine is just the opposite. I have a SC of 10% for hypertension. The claim I have in now is for the 6 way bypass I had two months ago and CAD. There is also the term Ischemic and Hypothyroidism in the diagnosis. I have no idea what my chances are. The main thing that remains a mystery is why they cancelled the C and P exam scheduled two weeks after the operation the day before it was scheduled. It was after the VA had received my records on the operation and from the hospital. They are continuing to work on the case. One can call the 800 number or the medical facility of the exam (Marion, IL), and no one knows why it was cancelled or if it is going to be rescheduled.

Your C&P exam was probably canx because it's too soon after your surgery. They'll probably wait 3 months. You should at least get 3 months temp 100% once your CAD is deemed service connected as secondary to your hypertension.

My C&P exam was scheduled about 3 months after my heart bypass, and I was still exhausted. I couldn't complete the treadmill stress test and was still in a lot of pain.

Aim High,

How long did it take until your chest bone stopped hurting? Also, my skin is still numb to the left of the incesion. I am doing light exercises in heart rehab, but I am light years away from being able to push mow a lawn or carry boxes to the top of attic stairs. I am on a strict diet. How are you doing with yours long term? When I went back to the cardiologist for a check up, he told me the average survival was 20 years after this type of operation if you took care of yourself.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

Since CAD is something that can cool you I probably would look into getting it sc'ed by hook or crook. What it means in the end is that if you die for direct SC the VA has to pay for a certain fee for your burial. Not a big deal but why should your widow have to dip into your personal funds more than necessary? What I have always thought is to get anything sc'ed that might result in SMC or death. However, you must live long enough to marry 17 year old as you planned in case Mrs Pete passes on first. It is your responsibility to live to at least 95 years of age for spite.