VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Years Later

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

HI all, Opinions are welcome.

In 1985 I was in a car accident while on duty (Army Reserves). I smashed the lt. side of my head into the windshield twice, had a concussion for about 45-days after. Ever since then I've had minor headaches in my lt. temple off and on and sometimes sharp pains. I've never said anything to my doc's over the yrs. but now the headaches are getting worse and more frequent. I'm already 100% P&T so would it make any sense too file a claim? I am going to bring this up with my PCP at next appt.

Thanks,

David

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file. If you are still having pain 20 years later I would want to get that SC'ed. How long have you been rated 100%? It is something to think about for sure. Others will have opinions I am sure. If all this is well documented it should not be so hard to get it SC. However, over 20 years have passed so you probably need to show continuity of symptoms or treatment. If you banged your head 20 years ago and never complained or got treated for the aches and pains it makes it more difficult.

There are pros and cons to this. Of course, they can look at your overall disability picture when you reopen your claim.

john999 thanks, I've been 100% for 11-yrs now. Started making claims in '94, I tried to stay out of the VA system but Injuries from the accident over took me and I had to give in. lost my job in '97 because of it. The injuries in the accident are well documented but I have never said anything to the doc's about the headaches other than the original head injury and concussion. I always thought it was just part of the suffering and nothing needed to be done with it. But now the headaches and sharp pains are getting worse and more frequent, maybe it's time to bring it up? I've never been much of a complainer and I think the VA likes it that way;)

thanks,

David

HI all, Opinions are welcome.

In 1985 I was in a car accident while on duty (Army Reserves). I smashed the lt. side of my head into the windshield twice, had a concussion for about 45-days after. Ever since then I've had minor headaches in my lt. temple off and on and sometimes sharp pains. I've never said anything to my doc's over the yrs. but now the headaches are getting worse and more frequent. I'm already 100% P&T so would it make any sense too file a claim? I am going to bring this up with my PCP at next appt.

Thanks,

David

dsgsr,

What are your SC'd for the 100% ?

What could you gain if you get SC'd for TBI ?

Also, I would want my doctor to check out the

headaches as they may be caused from something else.

carlie

Hi carlie,

100% broken down like this:

20% lt & rt knee

30% Myofascial syndrome left Levator and rhomboid muscles

40% Back/disc

50% left elbow

70% nervous condition/depression

What could you gain if you get SC'd for TBI ? I don't know. This is why I made the post, for ideas.

Thanks,

David

Also, I would want my doctor to check out the

headaches for the root cause. You have aged 25 years

since the auto accident and could be having some

vascular problems totally unrelated to the accident.

I surely would try to work with my doc to get a more

definite diagnosis of the type and cause of the headaches.

The only way I can see any help from this is if

headaches/tbi were to get SC'd and down the road

are debilitating enough that A&A or Housebound is needed.

I do see that you are P&T but you have held this rating

for 11 years, so you have some protection BUT not the

full protection (absent fraud) of 20 years.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

David

I agree with what Carlie is say, and I would say that when you go to the VA complain your head off. That is how you get treatment and how you document problems. If you have medicare and the VA is not helping get the thing checked out. Don't wait while VA puts you on hold. The headaches could be from some other problem, or it could be from the TBI. I would not depend on a PCP at the VA to make that determination. You do get SSDI and medicare don't you?