VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Years Later

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

HI all, Opinions are welcome.

In 1985 I was in a car accident while on duty (Army Reserves). I smashed the lt. side of my head into the windshield twice, had a concussion for about 45-days after. Ever since then I've had minor headaches in my lt. temple off and on and sometimes sharp pains. I've never said anything to my doc's over the yrs. but now the headaches are getting worse and more frequent. I'm already 100% P&T so would it make any sense too file a claim? I am going to bring this up with my PCP at next appt.

Thanks,

David

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

dsgsr,

I had my car accident in '89 was pretty bad, smashed my head on the windshield as well. I managed to get service connected as the accident was recorded in my SMR's. I also was given a nueropsych exam, and was diagnosed with a TBI. I was able to get my PCP to write a good NEXUS letter based on the above. Good luck should you decide to file a claim.

bufloguy -

I had a similar incident in 2000. Bad car accident, months of recovery and years of pain. I was never diagnosed with TBI, though. The DAV represents me, and my breakdown is:

Migraines - 50%

Bipolar Disorder - 30%

Cervical Spine DDD - 30%

Psoriasis - 10%

Right Hemi-Colechtomy - 10%

Tinnitus - 10%

Psoriatic Arthritis - 10%

Hearing Loss - Right Ear- 0%

GERD - Denied, but the decision was made before the VA received my IMO. Since they've now received it, the RO is reviewing the previous decision

Total = 90%.

Since the migraines, bipolar, tinnitus, hearing loss and cervical spine issues were a result of the accident, would it be of any significance to claim TBI and tile all these issues as secondary to TBI? Can anyone offer an opion if it would be wise/worth the trouble?

Thanks to all on this forum!

If you have a current diagnosos of TBI and can get a NEXUS, you should have a claim. The Cervical Spine disibility is most likely due to whiplash from the accident. Google TBI and see if you have any of the symptoms.