VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dilaudid 8mg

Rate this topic

"They would rather you blow your brains out than "abuse" a pain med. "

Well, that would explain why they are always asking me if I am suicidal.

They will not prescribe anything for pain in my case.

I have some serious spinal pain issues.

sledge

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where ya at? What about the VA , no, slim chance, good luck? C,mon people, let me know what you think about this. It's a shame, here I am 50% sc and cannot even use the va because they won't prescribe me something that actually helps plus also puts a little happiness in my life.

I'm getting NORCO's......Hydrocodone 10/325! THEY ARE GOOD! TRUST ME!

I take one every 4 hr for pain!

Dilaudid (Generic: Hydromorphone)- opioid analgesics that are supplied in 2 mg,4 mg and 8 mg tablets. Excellent pain medication but make sure you don't stop them abruptly. A surgeon forgot to wean my wife off them before sending her home. Her withdrawal was really bad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

I doubt the VA will fill a didaudid prescription. They like to prescribe the cheapest drugs like methadone and the long acting morphine (generic).

It all depends on the VAMC. They have Dilaudid here for cancer pain only. Do a google search for the current VA formulary - it's an excel file - then, if you all find what you're wanting take it to your primary care physician. I'm soooooo determined to get to the bottom of why they've given me Oxycodone for 8 years now; I've been able to get tolerance dose increases every time I ask. OK, this is getting eerie for me. I have RA and HCV from a bad blood transfusion that I received during surgery in the Army. I cannot take NSAIDS, allergic to codeine/morphine, and have a 2-gram/day tylenol limit. I'm seeing that IMHO they are prescribing narcotics to save money for numerous surgeries that could improve my QOL. I need a new hip and a knee replacement. I'm currently on 60 mgs of Oxy/day (started on 30 mgs 6 years ago) - the civilian docs out here have a FIT - some won't treat me even though I have a Medicare Advantage insurance policy. I had one consultation with an ortho surgeon to see if I could afford a new hip in civilian land - he was screaming at me that I was a drug addict!!! I don't abuse my meds - never have. It's cheaper for the VA to keep me on meds - oh yeah, I'm single and I'm expected to drive on these (I don't - I refuse to take a dose within 4 hours of leaving the house). My PCP always asks me when I drive over there why don't I take my pain meds - well, duh - I'm a single parent of a not quite ready for prime time driving teenager. I'm 50 and 100% T/P. I'm going to post a new thread on a hard lesson I learned - I've needed to get a hotel safe for my meds installed in my closet.

I'M CONVINCED THAT THE VA IS PRESCRIBING OPIOIDS TO SAVE MONEY!

Just my 2 cents....

Best wishes to all -Chicopee

What I get from the VA is percoset, morphine, and methadone. That is it. No oxycontin or fentanyl patches for me. They are afraid I will either OD or sell the stuff. I go to the non-criminal pain doctors and you are lucky to get anything unless you go around the back door and pay cash at the little clinic with the line five blocks long. The VA pain clinic is great as long as you don't go there for treatment of chronic pain. The VA just does an awful job of treating pain. They are petrified that you will abuse it and it will come back on them. They would rather you blow your brains out than "abuse" a pain med.