VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Advice For Dic Botherd Me

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Met a VSO few years ago that told me DIC is income based. I don't think this is true. Anyone?

Edited by cowgirl

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is the form http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-534-ARE.pdf and it looks like it asks financial information first to determine if a widow/widower is eligible by law for pension, aid'attendance, dependents and then if not, then regular DIC monthly payments. It looks like the applicant has to provide all the financial data requested. Lots of details.

Here's a link to information that explains things quite well:

http://www.vba.va.gov/Survivors/VAbenefits.htm

Looks like Parent's DIC is income based.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes DIC is confused with a pension offered to spouses and children who are disabled to war time military. It is very hard to quality for and very restrictive. The DIC you speak of Cowgirl is not based on income and offsets. When I pass Mrs Pete will be eligible for DIC no matter what her income as I have over 10 years at 100% P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

Guess you can tell I've been updating my 'prep books' for the family. I printed the lengthy forms to add to the books. As if a bereaved person has all the details. In our family, Quicken to the rescue :). Attended a veterans' (commander) memorial service few years ago, widow said papers were in chaos, never forget the look on her face.

Sometimes DIC is confused with a pension offered to spouses and children who are disabled to war time military. It is very hard to quality for and very restrictive. The DIC you speak of Cowgirl is not based on income and offsets. When I pass Mrs Pete will be eligible for DIC no matter what her income as I have over 10 years at 100% P&T