VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are There Assumptives For Ptsd

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I remember reading somewhere that there were certain duties that were sort of assumptive for PTSD, like being a combat medic in a unit that saw casualties, being assigned to a burn unit, and being a member of a NOK notification detail.

Is that true? My ex husband was a medic in RVN (he definitely displayed symptoms during our marriage - if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have handled things differently). My DH was both in the burn unit (from his accident) and on a NOK notification detail - he NEVER talks about it. The burn unit, yeah, he talks about that a lot, but the NOK... never. Just once years ago, he told me he'd done it, that it broke his heart.

Just wondering.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Certain MOS's or duties such as medic, burn units can certainly

count towards a stressor for PTSD but to my knowledge

this is nothing that figures into the list of presumptive disabilities.

carlie

Thanks Carlie. Presumptive - right! I wasn't sure, and I couldn't remember where I'd read it/ heard it. One of the many rumors that start with "did you know...?" I think.

I don't think my DH would have any trouble showing a SC to his mental health issues, I was just wondering in hopes that it could be a 'shoe in' so he wouldn't have to go through much stress in proving anything. Know what I'm trying to say? I do, but I'm not always very good at getting my thoughts into a sensible order.

Edited by hedgey

• HadIt.com Elder

hedgey - just so you know, your DH could easily connect PTSD to his burns, in the service, as that would probably a presumptive incident. He just needs the PTSD diagnosis.

pr

I remember reading somewhere that there were certain duties that were sort of assumptive for PTSD, like being a combat medic in a unit that saw casualties, being assigned to a burn unit, and being a member of a NOK notification detail.

Is that true? My ex husband was a medic in RVN (he definitely displayed symptoms during our marriage - if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have handled things differently). My DH was both in the burn unit (from his accident) and on a NOK notification detail - he NEVER talks about it. The burn unit, yeah, he talks about that a lot, but the NOK... never. Just once years ago, he told me he'd done it, that it broke his heart.

Just wondering.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Combat is only the tip of the iceberg of PTSD. Any traumatic experience can trigger it.

PR thanks

I'm not sure about this but does the Army issue the CIB to combat medics, I mean the Medics that are with the infantry units themselves?? A Navy Corpsman who receives the Fleet Marine Force Badge and is attached to Marine infantry units in combat is presumtive as is the Army CIB and the Marine Corps CAR. PTSD is considered presumptive and stressors are not verified if the service member has either of these awards or a purple heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star, Navy Cross or MOH. Hope this helps.

I believe if my memory serves me right that most combat medics had a 11B MOS with a combat field medic MOS as a secondary. I think most were awarded CIB. Lots of Valor medals were awarded to them. But its been 40 years ago.