VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are There Assumptives For Ptsd

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I remember reading somewhere that there were certain duties that were sort of assumptive for PTSD, like being a combat medic in a unit that saw casualties, being assigned to a burn unit, and being a member of a NOK notification detail.

Is that true? My ex husband was a medic in RVN (he definitely displayed symptoms during our marriage - if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have handled things differently). My DH was both in the burn unit (from his accident) and on a NOK notification detail - he NEVER talks about it. The burn unit, yeah, he talks about that a lot, but the NOK... never. Just once years ago, he told me he'd done it, that it broke his heart.

Just wondering.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i dont think there is a ( this mos or this mos ) its just assumed i was told by the doctors at the VA that more often then not this type of mos often had more then its share of seeing the ugly's , I thought one of my nightmares was unique till i found out its common.. On a UH 1 helicopter the gunner sits on the right side in the back , with the doors open to allow for the guns ,and as the bird fly's with the right side out due to the rotation of the blades and tail rooter its a natural or i should say un natural thing happens when your hauling fallen troops from the field especially when there were no body bags but only pancho liners. the gunner would be drenched in loose fluids on the trip and unless you knew it was coming would often be covered head to toe and you learned to keep your mouth shut.Thank GOD there were no mirrors to look at yourself or many a gunner would of most likely jumped in flight at the sight of himself

Edited by robert51

How about a little humor? I also flew the right rear like robert51. Rotor wash and wind was a bit*h. We had been real busy all day and while on the way back to the pick up point for the next lift I decided to grab a quick bite to eat. I opened a c ration can of sphagetti and meatballs. The stuff flew all over the place. A/C looked over his shoulder and keyed his radio and said his gunner had been shot in the face. Well since it wasn't me, I figured it must be my buddy the crew cheif. We still laugh about it. Well it seemed funny as hell at the time!!