VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss Survivor Benefits & Dic

teejay53

Question

I thank you all for your advice. I would like to share this with all.

I was finally found disabled for Social Security Survivor benefits on March 18th, 2010 and am waiting on the DIC decision for my husbands passing from a service related disease.

It took from october 8, 2009 til March 18th, 2010 to get one of the decisions.

Lord answers prayers.

:lol:

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

For SSA survivor benefits they should pay back to date of death.

For SS Disability payments they determine a date as the onset of the total disability and -as far as know -they would pay back to that date.

I read over your question again but don't understand- did the SSA award you for your own total disability or did they award you a Survivor Benefit?

SSA has a great web site and I believe they have a contact area.

if a person has filed for ssdi and is determined by social security to be medically disabled but in the end interview with social security does not qualify for the financial need part

will she still receive widow's benefits as she was still found disabled?

thank you,

:)

• HadIt.com Elder

Probably yes. But what was she denied for, social security disability income/insurance(SSDI) or supplimental security income (SSI), a welfare like program??? It sounds like she may have been denied SSDI due to lack of quarters/credits or denied SSI due to too much income. Either way, if she's 50 or older she should be eligible for survivors benefits, provided she meets the other requirements. I believe survivor benefits require that they be married at least a year, prior to death, to prevent fraud.

pr

if a person has filed for ssdi and is determined by social security to be medically disabled but in the end interview with social security does not qualify for the financial need part

will she still receive widow's benefits as she was still found disabled?

thank you,

:)