VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've Applied

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

Hi all. Like the title says, I've applied to go through the process in hopes to get Independent Living Services. I'm 100% P&T and tried the going to work thing, getting a scathing letter back from the RO Director (via my local Senator) saying if I tried to work it could hurt my VA disability compensation/or my disabilities MAY have improved. Well I can't set around the house any more, I have done this for 13-yrs. I feel like a caged Tiger. My physical Disabilities are not bad enough that I can't get outside and move around (lucky me, I feel for those that can't). Setting around makes my physical problems just as bad or worse than getting physical exercise. So it comes down to my Psychological health, sitting around the house makes my depression worse. But getting out and doing Physical things is painful but makes my Depression better. Sooooo is there any chance in hell the VA will help me under the ILS program or are they going to tell me (that's a hobby) and we ain't gonna help you. I hope this make sense, I'm half in the bag and this would be the ONLY time I would discuss my personal prob's on line.

Thank you,

David

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

David:

The ILS Program was designed to help Veterans like you and once Voc Rehab says that you can't be retrained for work they are supposed to offer it. Usually they will send someone to your home to check things out and develop a plan. Like everything else you have to ask VA to do it. The ILS request is on the same form that you filled out for Voc Rehab.

I am looking at it myself to have my bathroom redone from sunken stub to a full walkin shower and maybe a new a/c system

'

Good Luck

Hi all. Like the title says, I've applied to go through the process in hopes to get Independent Living Services. I'm 100% P&T and tried the going to work thing, getting a scathing letter back from the RO Director (via my local Senator) saying if I tried to work it could hurt my VA disability compensation/or my disabilities MAY have improved. Well I can't set around the house any more, I have done this for 13-yrs. I feel like a caged Tiger. My physical Disabilities are not bad enough that I can't get outside and move around (lucky me, I feel for those that can't). Setting around makes my physical problems just as bad or worse than getting physical exercise. So it comes down to my Psychological health, sitting around the house makes my depression worse. But getting out and doing Physical things is painful but makes my Depression better. Sooooo is there any chance in hell the VA will help me under the ILS program or are they going to tell me (that's a hobby) and we ain't gonna help you. I hope this make sense, I'm half in the bag and this would be the ONLY time I would discuss my personal prob's on line.

Thank you,

David

David,

I want to file for the same thing but just keeep getting denied? and I ask why any sugestions?

Bill

David,

I want to file for the same thing but just keeep getting denied? and I ask why any sugestions?

Bill

Bill, I believe you have too be SC at least 10% and above to qualify.

David

WELL, that didn't take long. I called the RO Voc-Rehab yesterday too see if they had got my Application. Yup, all ready assigned me a counselor, patched me through to her. Said I was looking for ILS but didn't need in home re-mods. just wanted something for outside too do for my depression, Nope we don't do that sort of thing (while she was chuckling). SOOOO I said sorry I wasted your time, you can cancel my app. Thank you anyhow. Guess I'll go get some sleep until beer time, sleeping does make the time go faster.

David

Said I was looking for ILS but didn't need in home re-mods. just wanted something for outside too do for my depression, Nope we don't do that sort of thing (while she was chuckling).

David

Well, you could let them raise your toilets to 17" standard toilets are 15", like I'm in the process of doing! It helps when you have a back condition.

IMO, I would let them come to your house, they will develop a plan to make your daily living better. If you want a hobby, that would have been discussed by the VRE counselor while he was doing his/her ILS assessment! I would reconsider and re-schedule for the in-home assessment....that way you can tell them that you need a hobby to be part of your daily living needs!

• HadIt.com Elder

You should let them send someone out to evaluate and if they propose something you don't want turn it down.

They can do some wonderful things but they all say they are getting out of giving computers to Veterans.

Good Luck