VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've Applied

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

Hi all. Like the title says, I've applied to go through the process in hopes to get Independent Living Services. I'm 100% P&T and tried the going to work thing, getting a scathing letter back from the RO Director (via my local Senator) saying if I tried to work it could hurt my VA disability compensation/or my disabilities MAY have improved. Well I can't set around the house any more, I have done this for 13-yrs. I feel like a caged Tiger. My physical Disabilities are not bad enough that I can't get outside and move around (lucky me, I feel for those that can't). Setting around makes my physical problems just as bad or worse than getting physical exercise. So it comes down to my Psychological health, sitting around the house makes my depression worse. But getting out and doing Physical things is painful but makes my Depression better. Sooooo is there any chance in hell the VA will help me under the ILS program or are they going to tell me (that's a hobby) and we ain't gonna help you. I hope this make sense, I'm half in the bag and this would be the ONLY time I would discuss my personal prob's on line.

Thank you,

David

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"but they all say they are getting out of giving computers to Veterans."

Someone stated on Hadit that the VA is no longer doing hobbies too. I don't have much emotional energy so I guess I'd rather just avoid it. I know what I need for my mental health, doing something I enjoy working with equipment on My property that I'm lucky enough to have. I'm not going to volunteer, thats what everyone suggests. I don't play good with others, I spent my life in public service not interested in that anymore. Don't know what I'll do, I'm just being a wine-A**s.

Thanks All,

David

• HadIt.com Elder

Independent Living Services http://www4.va.gov/vetapp98/files3/98221

don"t give up, ask for different counselor - denial for any application usually requires a written response with appeal guidelines - least it did during my voc rehab experience.

If you have a VA doc supporting you - ask for help. Sure hope you get fair treatment and settle for nothing less.

Best to ya,

Cg

Going through the same thing with ILS. My counselor told me that wood working equipment did not qualify for this program. I am 100% P/T SC... So they are offering me a bed that is automatic (raises, lowers, inclines...), exercise equipment and a newer updated computer and printer... I too do not need any home improvements as I am renting now and building a house this summer (approved for SAH program, thankfully).

These items (with the exception of the computer and printer) need to a letter from my doctor saying that they will improve my quality of life... so that is what I am waiting on, I guess.

I too love the outside and have or should say "HAD" hobbies that I can no longer do because of financial restraints.

Try taking a different angle like I did...

Greg

Maine

• HadIt.com Elder

I asked for a guitar. The couselor said I needed a detailed report from my VA shrink to say why this would help me. I just went out and spent 100 dollars and got the guitar. It was insulting to me to have some non-veteran lay donw the law on me. The person was half my age and was lecturing me. I guess I could try it again. I think they were sticking it to me. Now I am housebound I don't know what they would say.

Huh, this is interesting.

I was turned down for Voc Rehab because the psychologist there said my PTSD would interfere with my getting work (guess that helped with me getting TDIU). There was nothing in the paperwork about ILS.

Dang, if I let someone from the VA in my house, they might get lost in the stacks and become part of my junk collection. I mean, what would they say about all my stuff stacked everywhere, in every room?

I can't imagine letting someone come in and look through my house. It's in such disrepair, there's water-damage from pipe leaks that happened years ago, the floor in the kitchen is coming up, the bathroom is grodey, even though I try to keep it clean (the tub surround is really old and raggedy...) I could go on forever.

I try to keep it clean... clean-ish. My standards aren't what they used to be, I guess. It's just so hard to let go of things, and cleaning is tough when being on my feet is painful.

But the therapist is always asking about what I do in my free time. Hobby? I don't know. I read a lot. I have piles of books, boxes of books, stacks of books.

Sorry, got on a roll there. I'm just afraid that if I let a VA person come into my house, I'd wind up being on the next episode of "Hoarders".