VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Advise

Rate this question

RJALEXJR

Question

Hi All,

I'll get right to the point. I currently have a 30% disability rating for TBI, Hearing and clicking in my left jaw. I am currently (just started) being seen by the VA mental health for PTSD. My first medically documented trauma was in 1985 where I was assaulted by another service member with a broom handle across my left face, back and left arm, resulting in a broken left lower jaw was and left with a through and through laceration and scar just below my lower left lip line. My second trauma was in 1990-1991 Desert Shield/Storm where I encountered direct and indirect fire on my first combat mission. I ended up with documented 65hrs of hostile fire and 22hrs documented combat flight time in theater

I was prescribed sleeping pills by the VA because of lack of continous sleep (These pills make me groggy the day after).

I do file my claims through AMVETS?

I guess my question is...when should I file the PTSD claim with AMVETS. I'm hearing I should file after the PTSD diagnosis and/or some have said I should file now since having submitted my stressors to the VA mental health. Thanks in advance All.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

RJ, Thank you for your service!

I can only say how I filed my PTSD claim. After a visit to a rehab counselor in which I was guard assisted out of her office. She put me into a consult with MH at my meeting the shrink talked with me and at the end he said I suffer from PTSD and I said are you sure and he said yes.

That was in Feb.09 I called the VARO and told them on the phones that I had been DXed with PTSD and wanted to file. They started my claim.

I went on to have monthly meetings with the VA shrink and under his suggestion I was seen bi-weekly at the Vet-center.

Around June 09 I got a letter asking if I had anymore evidence to submit to support my claim and a request for my stressors. It took me almost 2 months to write them down and send in. My stressors were verified and I had my C&P on Nov. 18 09. I also submitted a letter from my Vet center counselor and I was awarded 50% on Dec.29, 09

From my reading of quite a few post on this site and others the vets that are having the most trouble are those that try and shortcut the system and actually end up having to wait longer.

Get all your ducks together and you will go right through to an award.

Send the VA a claim for after you have been dxed and you will do fine and save your date.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. If you are seeing Mental Health they probably have a diagnosis for you as they like to put us in boxes. I would call the number and ask the clerk what your diagnosis is listed as but if you are sure that you have PTSD go ahead and ask for it they will probably send you to someone to confirm it. If you are not sure ask for an increase due to secondary for your currently evaluated 30% condition. That should pretty much cover all the bases and start working on your claim

To succeed you will need to show if it is something connected to your current rating or to show a different connection you have to have a current diagnosis, a nexus or link to service and for PTSD an incident during service and proof. The VA will take your word if you have combat awards and it sounds like you do.

You have plenty of time it takes the VA a long time to move but you should start preparing your claim

Good Luck