VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fired For Treatment Of Service-connected Disabilities?

Rate this question

ej10

Question

I am a Congressional staffer and am currently working on a bill that would protect veterans from losing their jobs for needing "too much" time off for the treatment of service-connected disabilities. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has been in this situation.

Have you ever lost a job for your dr. appointments, time spent traveling to the VA clinic, etc.? Or been unable to get the treatment you needed (e.g. missed appointments) because you couldn't afford to lose your job? Or do you know anyone who has? It would be good if we could share some of these stories as we're working on this legislation.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete, this so called staffer, he needs to be a little more informative, this is no help to the members, all this secertly whats behind this. We are not allowed to mention any thing controversial.BUT here we have this rookie asking some real personel questions like this!!! why not open a page for political talk?? Ive been reading this page since 07, and i have yet to see any thing on this blog that ADULTS cant handle.I apoligise ahead of time but we are chasing vets away. Can we set the ship back on course its seems like we are taking water. Larry said he sat thru a long message today and so did i. Sitting in a waiting room with pneumonia for 4 hours will really set your fires. I have not seen any good come out of the political houses lately and ive been watching. But at 67,100% about all i can do is gripe and fart. goodnight

I am a Congressional staffer and am currently working on a bill that would protect veterans from losing their jobs for needing "too much" time off for the treatment of service-connected disabilities. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has been in this situation.

Have you ever lost a job for your dr. appointments, time spent traveling to the VA clinic, etc.? Or been unable to get the treatment you needed (e.g. missed appointments) because you couldn't afford to lose your job? Or do you know anyone who has? It would be good if we could share some of these stories as we're working on this legislation.

[/quote

Politics or not I agree with Pete. I have been the victim of this, I had to use all my sick time to cover the life threatening surgery of my 4 year old child. As a result I was forced to use all my vacation to cover appointments. Even so, I came to a point where I had to pick and choose which appointments I was going to keep and which I had to cancil. FMLA yes, but as far as I know weekly appointments to see a pysch doc would not be covered. Anyway, I had to sacrifice, but I would not hessitate to do it again.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

No one has to interact or participate but some may want the opportunity. This is not an endorsement.

I don't think that this kind of legislation will hurt Veterans just help codify some weakness in current laws.

Perhaps EJ could make some additional comments.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you for your efforts to help the service connected disabled veteran, EJ. I can assure you, there are many veterans that would benefit from such legislation.

By the way you have framed the question ( which sounds a bit like spam ), ... My response is, "It's a "no-brainer"...

You can start by mandating the VA to be more flexible. As a severely combat wounded vet, I was pushed into the VA voc rehab program too early and had to drop some classes or take a lower grade when I was hospitalized for the treatment of my combat wounds, or bombarded with appointments at the VAMC. My GPA suffered as well. The college did not care that I was a disabled vet. Then the VA informed me that because I did not complete one semester, due to my service connected absents, my service connected disability payments would be withheld until the VA recouped the Voc rehab monies. What a mess. Crippled, on the streets, and still trying to go to school, and being treated like a welfare bum by the VA.

After I was finished with school, and when I entered the workforce, the employers were quick to wave the flag, however they did not give me a break when it came to VAMC appointments. At times I was made to feel that I was letting the company down with all my doctors appointments.

For me, your are forty years and hundreds of thousands of dollars too late, however, if you can help this new generation of service connected vets get a fair shake in the workplace, and in returning to school, you would be doing a great service to the country, and truly helping to "care for those that bore the battle".

My most positive thoughts are with you in your endeavors.