VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Doe Sthe Va Take To Provide Cpap Machine?

Rate this topic

After a couple of decades of sleep loss and four sleep studies, the VA finally determined that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. I am not service connected for this but am rated as 70% - 100% Unemployable. My question is, how long typically does the VA take to issue a CPAP machine? I called today and spoke to an admin type and he said 6 months. This seems excessively long, is it the usual amount of time prior to issuance? What should I do to speed up the process? I'm miserable as all you CPAP users know too well.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

John6012,

If you have private insurance you need to use it to get your CPAP machine now! This is very serious, so please do not rely upon the VA to help you or speed things. You may want to contact your Congress person to see if they can not put a thorn in the VA's backside. Do you have a doctor's order on what the settings should be on the machine? If so, and if you are financially able, to go to a medical supply place in your town and see what one would cost to purchase. I know you should not have to, but it could save your life. I count myself very fortunate since I have private insurance because if I waited on the VA, I would be dead.

Papa

After a couple of decades of sleep loss and four sleep studies, the VA finally determined that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. I am not service connected for this but am rated as 70% - 100% Unemployable. My question is, how long typically does the VA take to issue a CPAP machine? I called today and spoke to an admin type and he said 6 months. This seems excessively long, is it the usual amount of time prior to issuance? What should I do to speed up the process? I'm miserable as all you CPAP users know too well.

I was called within two weeks of my sleep study and was told I could come pick it up the next day.

You need to get a hold of the sleep coordinator from the sleep lab at your VAMC. They will schedule you for an instructional class and issue the CPAP machine at the same time. VA loves to move very slow, Call the sleep lab and ask them when will you get your machine and sleep instructional appointment and go from there.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got mine the same night I failed the sleep test at Dallas VAMC. Think about it if they know you need it and something happens bad over next six months than they have a law suit on their hands.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In my sleep study seminar, they told us we would be issued a CPAP machine immediately if we were deemed positive for OSA. My results were inconclusive, so no machine for me yet.