VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time Length

Rate this question

wwjr

Question

Not sure where this question should be posted. I am wife of Vet. My husband filed claim in Dec. 09 for C & P. Put everything asked for in nice binder, all reports from hosp., Dr.s etc. He had C & P exam in January. DAV has not asked for anything else. My husband call DAV beginning of March to ask for status of claim. He was told that DAV was waiting for information from the nat records center. He called last week and ask the status, was told that DAV had not made a decision yet. Normally what is the length of time when VA has no questions for the Vet on whether or not he would receive some type of rating if any. Should he wait 3 months or 6 months before contacting our Federal representative.

Waiting and Anxious :D

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If this is the initial claim, the RO will usually need to obtain medical and/or service records from the national service center. They tend to go ahead and schedule the C&P exam. The doctors use a standard exam worksheet and pass their results back to the RO. When the RO has medical records, service record, and the C&P exam results, they can then proceed to adjudicate your claim. There are a lot of claims, so it could take a while.

I submitted a couple of claims in Dec 2009 and had varying results for each. One was finalized last month. I had C&P exams for The rest last month too. My medical and service records from the national service center were already present at the RO, which is why they were able to proceed quickly. I talked with my DAV rep and was told that it could be a couple of months before I hear anything from the RO, other than the usual 'we are working on your claim' letter.

It took about a month to get my service records from the national service center. The lady on the phone there said they supposed to respond within 22 business days to all service record requests.

My medical records took about two months. I had to request those from the VAMC. Records back to about 2002 were in their electronic archive system. Everything prior to 2002 had to be copied and shipped from the national service center.

How long does this take overall? Honestly, it varies dramatically between each RO.

G

• HadIt.com Elder

After C&P depending on the VARO the decision is usually in 60 to 120 days. You are close I think

My increase claim took 15 months total, yours may go quicker but if you get your federal rep involved it will definitely add to the time you wait for a decision.