VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestions

Rate this question

GDavis9755

Question

I received a 30% rating for PTSD, I'm thinking of filing a NOD. Let me know what you guys think. Award letter states:I'm a combat vet with silver star, bronze star with V and purple hearts, so my testimony alone is sufficient as far as a combat stressor is concerned. I was able to reopen this case from one I filed in 1983 which was denied. The examiner stated all the causes of the PTSD This is were I'm having a problem with the rating. Quote "Overall, teh medical examiner diagnosed your condition as posttraumatic stress, and provided you a GAF score between 51-60". A few days later added "clarified his medical opinion, and included an opinion the condition presentsdepressive symptomology". They described the GAF score as where I should be rated. My problem again is, just what is between 51-60? Should I been given a certain GAF score and not just "between". They seem to know what the cut off is between 50% and 30% pretty well. It also states he didn't even have my medical records during the exam. Should I ask for another C&P and disagree with his 30% rating? Thank you all.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you should get your own medical opinion. A GAF that ranges from 51-60 is ranging from serious symptoms to moderate sysmptoms. How badly does your PTSD affect your ability to work and have social contacts? This is what really matters and not a GAF score. Are you on medications? I think you need to get copies of your SMR's and get a private shrink to review them. When you talk to your own doctor you need to describe your worst symptoms. You can get a format for how a IMO should look from Hadit. I was on SSD and the VA only gave me 30% at one point. If you are working you should try for at least 50%. Ability to work is a big factor in PTSD or any other MH rating. If you get your IMO pretty quick you could ask for a "reconsideration" based on new evidence. You know your symptoms are what really make the difference in a rating. The difference between a 50% rating and a 70-100% rating is usually the ability to work. If you can't keep employment then 30% is way too low. This may take some time but I would bet that you can get a higher rating with new evidence and/or an appeal. Whatever you do don't give up with a 30% rating.

Award letter states:I'm a combat vet with silver star, bronze star with V and purple hearts, so my testimony alone is sufficient as far as a combat stressor is concerned. I was able to reopen this case from one I filed in 1983 which was denied.

You filed for PTSD in 1983 and received a Rating Decision that was a denial.

What REASON did the Rating Decision use to deny the claim in 1983 ?

What did you submit as New and Material Evidence to re-open the claim for PTSD.

carlie

I asked for what I thought was PSTD that had been going on from 1972 when I got out of the service. I had seen the Dr's, all they wanted to talk about was mom and dad. They gave me meds to help with the anxity part. I was denied because they said I had no medical records saying I had the condition. What they were telling me, it was a personelly problem. They also set the Dr's appointments during my work schele at the post office. They were really on my but about seeing a VA Dr about PTSD problems. It was keep the job or set in a circle and talk about how I felt that day. Over the years I would use advan as needed if I felt like I was in some real problem area. And of course self-med with the local hurb of the day. Stopped the hurb because of urine test but still being giving advan during bad periods. Other wise no help. In the latest rating, the Dr. says I was working. Don't know where he got that as I have not worked sense 2004. Owned my own business, just could not do the work any longer because of this problem, back surgery, and my legs. I've been on long term pain meds. The back surgery could not get service connected because of the nexus. I could not produce the cilivans medical records for the last 35 years. Seems the Dr's don't keep records longer then 5 years. That did that. Carrie, all that was sent in this time was my new records from the new Dr. I say one time for 20 min. who dinosed me with PTSD, now the Dr''s are giving sleeping meda and other stuff to control my anger issue's. I see the Dr's pretty offen they are trying to get my strighten out. Things seem better then before, still not right. Problems with sleep and anger. Needless to say the depression is on going and so is the pain. So during the last C&P I was suppose to be working, (which I wasn't). Without medical records that day he stated I was between 51 and 60. Why was I not between 45 and 60?

• HadIt.com Elder

GDavis:

Thank you for your Service and I believe that the VA made a large mistake when you were initially denied. Its possibly a CUE but I also think that you should look into obtaining a Lawyer to help you.

Probably the one thing that carries the biggest impact on how a claim is rated is your work history. If you work you can expect from 0% to 50%. If not 70% to 100%.

From you post I feel that you have worked off an on since the initial denial and I also think that it may be difficut for you to put together the paperwork and medical records and the right things to ask the VA to maximize your award.

One last thing and some may disagree with me but whatever you do I think you should concentrate on winning your award first and than going pack for earlier effective dates and or CUE after you are getting a check each month.

One last thing is don't forget about Social Security.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I think with the amount of time and the problems you have you should get a lawyer. I would do as Pete suggests and try to get IU or 100% now and then you can fight the CUE battle. This is exactly what I am doing now. You have to have an income while you wait for the CUE to be batted back and forth through the system.

I'm with you folks. I sure can't do this stuff, my local PH vso wants to go after it. I really don't want to lose this chance. I've been waiting for over 30 years for the rating, I just thought it should have been closer to 50%. I'm in Missouri, anyone have a good lawyer i should know about. You can email if posting on the board is a problem. I've checked the net and have not turned up any that gives any background to their cases with the VA. If anyone has one or heard of one let me know and I'll feel them out. Thanks again.