VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

Groundforce

Question

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start off by saying to all of you thank you for your service. I have a question regarding non combat ptsd. I am currently 30% for multiple trauma after being severly injured and knocked unconcious for 10 minutes from fracturing my skull after it went through a windshield i also broke both of my legs my hip and shoulder after being hit by a van as i was walking across the street on to the base. This accident happened in the mid to late 90's. I was awarded 30% in 2001. I got out in 2000, not a medical discharge. I was recalled back to active duty for one year after 911. I worked at job where I had to maintain a top secret clerance so I was unable to talk about or be treated for ptsd. My question is I was diagnosed with Ptsd in 2008 after I started to loose it. I then qouit therapy because it was to stressful, i started therapy again in 2009 and been taking plenty of meds and am currently starting CBT therapy. I just wondering what you guys think in reference to the large time gap beteween the accident and me filing for ptsd, i filled about a month ago. Thanks for your help.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't sweat it. Time gaps are common with PTSD claims. It took me roughly 5 years before I could even begin to just think about seeking help for my experiences in Kosovo; it was another 5 before I finally reached out for assistance. I was service connected for PTSD shortly thereafter. The most important thing is to prove your stressor! Based upon what you wrote, it appears as though there might be some documentation. Just point the VA in the right direction, and they will get it!

Don't sweat it. Time gaps are common with PTSD claims. It took me roughly 5 years before I could even begin to just think about seeking help for my experiences in Kosovo; it was another 5 before I finally reached out for assistance. I was service connected for PTSD shortly thereafter. The most important thing is to prove your stressor! Based upon what you wrote, it appears as though there might be some documentation. Just point the VA in the right direction, and they will get it!

Need some advice. Was sent for a C&P exam back on May 18th. When i got there i was told i had been sent for wrong exam.I need the intial exam and Va had sent me for a follow up. Is there anyone who can help with getting one rescheduled or is it just a matter of waiting on Va. Nam VET 69-70

I think you should do two things. First, call your DAV, PVA or whoever is representing you to get another appointment scheduled and they will have it on RECORD of you doing so!! Second, call the 1-800-827-1000 to the VA. This way it covers your side AND you notified both parties of your intentions.

It shouldn't matter about the time span. If you have PTSD you have just that especially if you have been diagnosed officially. Some people who have been to vietnam are now filing for PTSD. I know a guy that did just that and recently got rated after all these years. He didn't realize what was wrong with him and wasn't going to docs regularly well after destroying half of his life he is finally getting it together he told me this. I have PTSD as well for a non combat incident. I didnt call it PTSD and I didnt know how to catagorize all my symptoms. So if their calling it PTSD so be it. The docs know better than I. I too went to the weekly group meetings (CBT) and continue to go to private therapy with both ologist and the iatrist. I have not applied for any additional compensation I am already TDIU and though I was diagnosed after the fact. I just didn't see the point or what difference it would make. I still have day dreams, night terrors, anxiety, feeling like I am being buried alive and waking up in a sweat till all my clothes is soaked and my heart pounding out my chest like I'm having a heart attack. So you should be successful with you claim if you can prove your stressor and time gaps are normal. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

There are living vets from WWII who have filed for PTSD. If it is treated early then you have a much better chance of getting back on track. My wife has PTSD from a car wreck. I can tell each time I get in the car with her. File your claim! I think a lot of vets don't file for PTSD due to shame and guilt. These are some of the symptoms of PTSD.

Denial is also a symptom as are alcohol and drug abuse. Anything to get away from those feelings and numb yourself. It does not work.