VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropsych Testing

Rate this question

12R3G

Question

Okay...had a consult at VAMC for mild TBI that occured several decades ago in-service (and well documented in records). (Psychologist thinks my other symptoms indicate mildTBI---the match up is uncanny) Anyway, neurologist decides I don't have residuals, but hedges his bet by saying "probably don't", then orders EEG, MRI, labs and a revisit in 6 months to give MRI lab time to schedule the exam.

The exam I got lasted about 2 hours but didn't include any "psych" that I could see. Did I miss something?

meanwhile, VARO denied TBI residuals without C&P, basing their decision on VA Doctor's clinical notes.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Edited by 12R3G

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Okay...had a consult at VAMC for mild TBI that occured several decades ago in-service (and well documented in records). (Psychologist thinks my other symptoms indicate mildTBI---the match up is uncanny) Anyway, neurologist decides I don't have residuals, but hedges his bet by saying "probably don't", then orders EEG, MRI, labs and a revisit in 6 months to give MRI lab time to schedule the exam.

The exam I got lasted about 2 hours but didn't include any "psych" that I could see. Did I miss something?

meanwhile, VARO denied TBI residuals without C&P, basing their decision on VA Doctor's clinical notes.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/neurological...evaluation.aspx

What is a neuropsychological evaluation?

A neuropsychological evaluation is a formal assessment of mood, personality and cognitive abilities (e.g., memory, concentration and problem solving) that is conducted by a certified neuropsychologist.

Research shows that many people with movement disorders, psychiatric disorders or acquired brain injuries demonstrate changes in their mood, personality and thinking skills (such as attention, memory and planning). These changes may be subtle or dramatic and may reflect the underlying disease process or side-effects from treatment.

What does a neuropsychological evaluation do?

This type of evaluation determines if a person’s thinking skills, mood and personality have been affected by a neurological disorder. A neuropsychological evaluation also does the following:

* Establishes a baseline so that changes in thinking skills, mood and personality can be monitored over time to provide better treatment

* Helps the patient and family make decisions about work and other responsibilities

* Educates family members about how the brain disorder has affected the patient’s thinking skills and personality so they can better help and understand

* Provides information for a physician in order to help with medication selection to reduce side effects or improve cognition

What is involved in neuropsychological evaluation?

There are two parts to the evaluation:

1. Interview (1 to 1 ½ hours): A neuropsychologist interviews the patient and a family member separately to determine how the neurological disorder is affecting the patient’s life.

2. Neuropsychological testing (3 to 4 hours): A neuropsychology technician administers tests measuring concentration, memory and a range of verbal and visual abilities. The testing is usually completed in one visit.

In my case, the two tests they gave me were the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS) and the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS).

Hope this helps to answer your question.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/neurological...evaluation.aspx

What is a neuropsychological evaluation?

A neuropsychological evaluation is a formal assessment of mood, personality and cognitive abilities (e.g., memory, concentration and problem solving) that is conducted by a certified neuropsychologist.

Research shows that many people with movement disorders, psychiatric disorders or acquired brain injuries demonstrate changes in their mood, personality and thinking skills (such as attention, memory and planning). These changes may be subtle or dramatic and may reflect the underlying disease process or side-effects from treatment.

What does a neuropsychological evaluation do?

This type of evaluation determines if a person's thinking skills, mood and personality have been affected by a neurological disorder. A neuropsychological evaluation also does the following:

* Establishes a baseline so that changes in thinking skills, mood and personality can be monitored over time to provide better treatment

* Helps the patient and family make decisions about work and other responsibilities

* Educates family members about how the brain disorder has affected the patient's thinking skills and personality so they can better help and understand

* Provides information for a physician in order to help with medication selection to reduce side effects or improve cognition

What is involved in neuropsychological evaluation?

There are two parts to the evaluation:

1. Interview (1 to 1 ½ hours): A neuropsychologist interviews the patient and a family member separately to determine how the neurological disorder is affecting the patient's life.

2. Neuropsychological testing (3 to 4 hours): A neuropsychology technician administers tests measuring concentration, memory and a range of verbal and visual abilities. The testing is usually completed in one visit.

In my case, the two tests they gave me were the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS) and the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS).

Hope this helps to answer your question.

i'm posting late but this info is what i wanted to knwo from a prvious post of mine. i will say this having been to both places, it is night and day difference between VA and cleveland clinic on how patiteint is treated and what is writtin in med records. speaking from a SC neuro disease. glad you posted this