VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Have A Sleep Apnea Claim?

Rate this question

JRC0401

Question

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I have a claim for sleep apnea. Either all by itself or secondary to my exsiting 30% anxiety/panic disorder disability, 10% asthma, and 0% allergic rhinetitis. I had all of the symptoms of sleep apnea while on active duty and was seen several times and prescribed multiple medications for sleep problems. But I was not given a sleep study until I was in the VA system where they discovered the problem. I am now on a CPAP. Does anyone think that I have a claim and if so should I file it alone or secondary to an existing condition?

Thank you

JRC

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I have a claim for sleep apnea. Either all by itself or secondary to my exsiting 30% anxiety/panic disorder disability, 10% asthma, and 0% allergic rhinetitis. I had all of the symptoms of sleep apnea while on active duty and was seen several times and prescribed multiple medications for sleep problems. But I was not given a sleep study until I was in the VA system where they discovered the problem. I am now on a CPAP. Does anyone think that I have a claim and if so should I file it alone or secondary to an existing condition?

Thank you

JRC

You have alot of work to do if you want to get Sc'd for OSA. You should check out the claims repository. Your question is to vague...

"I had all of the symptoms of sleep apnea while on active duty and was seen several times and prescribed multiple medications for sleep problems."

not seeing the vagueness here if this, as it should be, is documented in service medical records.

i got 50 percent for sleep apnea based on complaints documented in my service medical records of "lethargy, lack of concentration", associated with my anxiety/depression issues and was also not put on cpap until after i retired: first through tricare and then through vamc.

I feel you should file the claim and state both reasons- that you were treated in service for sleep problems and that it is secondary to the SC asthma.

"Sleep Apnea and Asthma.

Asthma and allergies are potential sleep apnea causes. Asthma causes the airways to spasm, increasing the risk that the airways will collapse during sleep. Allergies also cause airway inflammation and congestion, increasing the risk of obstructive sleep apnea"

Read more at Suite101: Causes of Sleep Apnea: Obesity, Asthma, and GERD http://patient-health-education.suite101.c...a#ixzz0l4gsk9kJ

http://patient-health-education.suite101.c..._of_sleep_apnea

There are other better medical sites on the web if you browse for sleep apnea and asthma-that show the connecton.

Still it will need a medical opinion of the linkage for the second reason (asthma) but could potentially be directly service connected -f this has been chronic and the SMRs support the claim.

That too however might need an IMO.

I would definitely file this claim if I were you.

JRC0401,

File the claim to establish the date, but keep in mind you will need a nexus between the in service occurance and your current disibility.