VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

12 Meds/whats 2 More

Rate this topic

Hadit family, any one know about these medicines? Just started. Heart Dr. says rest of my life.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Reveals the medication warfarin (Coumadin) a drug used to inhibit the synthesis of clotting factors, thus preventing blood clot formation.

It was originally a pest killer rats to be more precise.

Diltiazem is used to treat high blood pressure, angina and certain heart rhythm disorders.

Hadit family, any one know about these medicines? Just started. Heart Dr. says rest of my life.

Your gonna really enjoy the warfarin. You will feel like a pin cushion in about a month. That will be the hardest because the drug has a "theraputic level" that you will have to be in. They will set a range and make adjustments until they dial your level in. You should get an info handout with diet changes and other changes. Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker used to control heart rate and rhythem.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Pete provided interesting trivia.

Bergie is absolutey correct here. Due to warfarin, you will not be able to clot normally. Even when they take blood samples, it might take a bit before the bleeding stops. If you need any medical procedure which involves piercing the skin, including dental work, it is a good idea to let them know up front. This also holds true to people who take other blood thinners, like Plavix or even daily aspirin.

Here is some other information about these meds. Be sure to also read up on the side effects.

Warfarin

http://www.drugs.com/warfarin.html

Diltiazem

http://www.drugs.com/diltiazem.html

vync, "bergie", pete53, thanks for all the info. All this is scaring the crap out of me, but can't tell e cause he's kinda anxious right now. I'm not a crier, e calls me the sagrent, but I know this is serious. Carolyn

• HadIt.com Elder

Carolyn:

Its better to have the meds than not to have them. My Mom took the coumidin for many years and it was cancer that got her not her heart problems.