Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Picked Up Cpap Machine Today

Fire Courage

Question

No more denial. It has really sunked in now.....I have sleep apnea :) .

How many here use this machine and what are your thoughts on it?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

14 answers to this question

Fire Courage,

Sorry but if you can not get a nexus statement (IMO) or get a statement from your doctor that says your Sleep apnea is as least likely or not related to your military service or service connected conditions, VA will still deny your claim even if VA issued you your CPAP machine. I know it sounds crazy but that is VA. Sorry to be negative but, Just want you to keep your eyes open

As always hope the best

Pete, yes, I am aware of that. I'm not talking about a claim. I was speaking in terms of daily use of this machine and how others felt about it. Does it help? etc. etc.

Once I read your post, I had to look back. In my first post I said something about "No more denial". I am talking about me no longer being in denial about this conditions existence.

Sorry for the confusion.

But, I was just wanting to know from others who use the machine what they felt about it.

I have had mine since November 2009, and have gotten used to it. Sometimes I still wake up tearing it off, or it is blowing full force because I have stopped breathing.

It just takes awhile to get used to it. I sleep better, but being Bipolar, I haven't slept all that much on a regular basis, and still don't.

quote]Pete, yes, I am aware of that. I'm not talking about a claim. I was speaking in terms of daily use of this machine and how others felt about it. Does it help? etc. etc.

Once I read your post, I had to look back. In my first post I said something about "No more denial". I am talking about me no longer being in denial about this conditions existence.

Sorry for the confusion.

But, I was just wanting to know from others who use the machine what they felt about it.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I don't have one, but my girlfriend does. It's easy for me to sleep through with the noise and all, but she hates it. I hear the first couple of weeks take some getting used to.

I have used a CPAP for about a year. I am not service connected for OSA.

It is critically important that the mask you use is comfortable, and fits you well. I use "nasal pillows" type of mask..air goes in the nose only. It does not block your view, and, after you get used to it, you can even talk with the mask on.

I wont go without my CPAP. It is wonderfull not being sleepy during the day. I wake up refreshed. My quality of life has improved significantly with the CPAP.

Basically, I dont have a choice. I found out that I have an enlarged right side of the heart, which is a symptom of untreated OSA. What happens is, you stop breathing hundreds of times per nite. Then you wake up. Then you go back to sleep, stop breathing wake up. You never get restful sleep. Since I was not getting enough oxygen, being literally choked by the sleep apnea, my right side of my heart compensated by getting larger to pump more blood to make up for the lack of oxygen at nite. If this is allowed to continue, without the CPAP the right side of the continues to get larger and your heart becomes "unbalanced" and, well, it eventually kills you. Because my OSA was discovered and treated, it literally saved my life.

If your mask is uncomfortable, or you cant work it right, go back and tell your sleep doc you want to try another type of mask. There are many. Keep trying until you get one that works. If your doc has prescribed a CPAP, then that means you need it, and it is literally life threatening, tho it often takes years to kill you. Loosing weight will help, if you are significantly overweight. In fact, sometimes enough weight loss will be able to discontinue the CPAP. Basically my problem is excess tissue in the throat that collapses when I relax and fall asleep, choking off my air. The air pressure holds the airway open.

My uncle also uses one, as does my Sunday School teacher. All of them used them for years, and all of them wont be without their CPAP, as I wont. I am far too tired the next day, I feel like I have been "partying all nite" and never went to bed the next day without my CPAP.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had and used a CPAP machine for over 4 years. The first one was given using Medicare and I got tired of 20 dollar a month copay on machine rental and copays for supplies so I went to VA and they issued one 3 years ago.

At first it was hard for me to get used to using and I had to be determined. A full face mask helped cause I am what some consider a mouth breather when I sleep.

The long and short its a bit of a chore to clean every week but necessary. I use soap with warm water and white vinegar on Saturday Morning. I have to remember to replace filters.

My benefits is it actually filters the air and I have much fewer allergies. I generally get about 4 hours of good sleep something I never got before. Its actually quiet and does not bother Mrs Pete.

Hang in there and if you have problems talk to VA they have agjustments and can consider other types of masks.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a problem with snoring ( my wife has the problem). How do you know if you have sleep apnea. I snore and grind my teeth but not all the time. Some medications like klonopin and valium make it worse and that is for sure. I do have deviated septum. How do I get the VA to do sleep study? Is it worth the effort? I don't want to make a claim, but just get treatment if there is any.

John999,I have a problem with snoring ( my wife has the problem). How do you know if you have sleep apnea. I snore and grind my teeth but not all the time. Some medications like klonopin and valium make it worse and that is for sure. I do have deviated septum. How do I get the VA to do sleep study? Is it worth the effort? I don't want to make a claim, but just get treatment if there is any.

Just tell your doctor that you are having sleeping problems and snoring and you would like a sleep study and have them request a study for you. Your PCP, or mental health doctor will do.

I used it last night. I have the full mask that covers nose and mouth. I woke up feeling pretty darn rested. My wife also noticed my eyes weren't red from lack of sleep. The only problem was the late night trips to the toilet. :)

Its quiet too. Can barely hear it running.

I love this thing!

Beleive it or not, there are things you can do for frequent trips to the toilet, too. I am guessing that you are a man "over 50" and I am also "over 50" and was able to fix it.

Many times a mans prostate gets enlarged, and this causes urinary problems, and often frequent urination.

I used a "natural" (herbal) remedy, with good success. It is available in almost all health food stores, and often even in Walmart, and cost me less than $10. It is called Saw Palmetto.

I took it and noticed great improvement in about 2 weeks. You may even notice improvement earlier. There are other herbs, also and can go to this link:

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/enlarged-prostate.htm

I have also discovered "green" juice, which I get at the commisary, works for that also. (It has wheat grass and other herbs and fruits.)

In the past, I have told the VA med people I took herbs and they tried to talk me out of it.

Bah Humbug.

The "medical" community does not like herbs because herbs are not patentable and they cant charge you $80 for a prescription for Saw Palmetto. Remember, medical schools are primarily funded by drug companies and they teach doctors to avoid any kind of herb (plants). Interestingly, they also try to get you to eat "a balanced diet" that includes fruits and vegetables. (Remember, herbs are just plants.)

If you dont get improvement from Saw Palmetto, then you should see your doctor and have a PSA test done. Yes, you should have a PSA test done even if you do get help from saw palmetto.

Thanks for the info Broncovet. Yep I'm a man, but I'm 41 going on 42. I will check that Saw Palmetto and green juice out though.

Beleive it or not, there are things you can do for frequent trips to the toilet, too. I am guessing that you are a man "over 50" and I am also "over 50" and was able to fix it.

Many times a mans prostate gets enlarged, and this causes urinary problems, and often frequent urination.

I used a "natural" (herbal) remedy, with good success. It is available in almost all health food stores, and often even in Walmart, and cost me less than $10. It is called Saw Palmetto.

I took it and noticed great improvement in about 2 weeks. You may even notice improvement earlier. There are other herbs, also and can go to this link:

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/enlarged-prostate.htm

I have also discovered "green" juice, which I get at the commisary, works for that also. (It has wheat grass and other herbs and fruits.)

In the past, I have told the VA med people I took herbs and they tried to talk me out of it.

Bah Humbug.

The "medical" community does not like herbs because herbs are not patentable and they cant charge you $80 for a prescription for Saw Palmetto. Remember, medical schools are primarily funded by drug companies and they teach doctors to avoid any kind of herb (plants). Interestingly, they also try to get you to eat "a balanced diet" that includes fruits and vegetables. (Remember, herbs are just plants.)

If you dont get improvement from Saw Palmetto, then you should see your doctor and have a PSA test done. Yes, you should have a PSA test done even if you do get help from saw palmetto.

I was so dog tired that I sought help fromt eh VA and they sent me to two different Sleep Studies, both of them inconclusive. Then I had one more after I went tot he Sleep Clinic and the end diagnosis was Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea-and this diagnosis was for a civilian MD who said I didn't "qualify" for this particular sleep study. Once I had the diagnosis I was anxious to get the CPAP Machine so I could get some blessed sleep and feel good and alert during the day. The day finally came that I receive d the CPAP Machine from the VA, the technician gave me the instructiosns while her back was turned to me and asked if I had any questions. I was irritated at her explanation of the machine with her back turned toward me, I think she was mad becaue I came in for the machine as a walk-in vs and appointment. Regardless, I was excited to go to sleep that night. Now two years later I'm no better off, I have not been rested before or after the CPAP Machine and don;t know where to turn. The reason I'm posting this is because one must know the CPAP Machine is not a miracle, it is a crutch - if it works. aI speak to others in the VA waiting room and they for the most part have no improvement withe CPAP Machine. I have underlying SC meical problems such as hypertension, arthritis, tinnitus, hearing requiring aids but what the hey, I'm still alive and kicking. I think I'll go under Medicare and TFL and se if I cna't find some civilian help within the medicla community.