VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Arng Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

EthanAllen

Question

New to the site, tried posting and do not see my post so I will try a second time. VA diagnosed Chronic PTSD, MDD, GAD, and agoraphobia. Trauma occurred 25 years ago while on weekend drill with army national guard. I served in the Regular Army also. Just want to know do I have the same rights for disability compensation since I was on weekend drill status. File my claim 4 months ago and said they could not see where this happened on active duty. I am nervous about this process and my PTSD is kicking into overdrive worrying that I will be denied. Had symptoms all those years and thought I was the "crazy uncle" in the family. Thank God some veterans noticed my behavior and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for any advice and what a comfort to know I can come here and have my own private, dont have to talk to anyone therapy session. This site is great.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

EA

You should be able to win your claim provided you can meet the same standards as anyone else.

You need a current diagnosis, a link to your service and the proof VA requires of stressor and probably Doc opinion and also be able to show that it has caused problems since upu left service.

Thanks Pete, this is helping me calm down. My stressor was a helicopter crash which is documented. As far as diagnosis that was done by the DR at the VA mental health clinic. Been in therapy for the last six months as an outpatient which has been good but the honeymoon phase of finding out what I have is wearing off. Trying not to go back to my old ways. Two divorces, countless girlfriends who all left, domestic abuse when a girlfriend snuck up behind with a six foot lamp, dwi, blah blah blah. So it looks like I am safe. Nice to have this site available.

Thanks Pete, this is helping me calm down. My stressor was a helicopter crash which is documented. As far as diagnosis that was done by the DR at the VA mental health clinic. Been in therapy for the last six months as an outpatient which has been good but the honeymoon phase of finding out what I have is wearing off. Trying not to go back to my old ways. Two divorces, countless girlfriends who all left, domestic abuse when a girlfriend snuck up behind with a six foot lamp, dwi, blah blah blah. So it looks like I am safe. Nice to have this site available.

As long as you have the proper medical documentation and military service records showing awards for combat and/or a particular traumatic event (e.g. the helicopter crash)...then you should have no problem meeting the diagnostic criteria as well as the Code of Federal Regulations governing the ratings for PTSD.

However a word of advice...read up on what PTSD is and what depression is...the more informed you are the better you will be able to communicate with the Compensation and Pension examiners.

T.S.

New to the site, tried posting and do not see my post so I will try a second time. VA diagnosed Chronic PTSD, MDD, GAD, and agoraphobia. Trauma occurred 25 years ago while on weekend drill with army national guard. I served in the Regular Army also. Just want to know do I have the same rights for disability compensation since I was on weekend drill status. File my claim 4 months ago and said they could not see where this happened on active duty. I am nervous about this process and my PTSD is kicking into overdrive worrying that I will be denied. Had symptoms all those years and thought I was the "crazy uncle" in the family. Thank God some veterans noticed my behavior and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for any advice and what a comfort to know I can come here and have my own private, dont have to talk to anyone therapy session. This site is great.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you may have some difficulty with the PTSD claim for trauma occurring during weekend drill. I am having trouble convincing the VA about an injury I suffered while on active duty with the Guard. Do some research on duty status. You can start with one of the VA regulations:

38 CFR § 3.6 Duty periods.

(a) Active military, naval, and air service. This includes active duty, any period of active duty for training during which the individual concerned was disabled or died from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty, and any period of inactive duty training during which the individual concerned was disabled or died from an injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty or from an acute myocardial infarction, a cardiac arrest, or a cerebrovascular accident which occurred during such training.

I hope this helps with your research. Just find all the documentation you can, buddy letters, etc., then send it in. Good luck!

Edited by JustPLS

Thanks for the reg reference. Documentation is not a problem for there is an army aviation accident report as well as a NTSB report for verification of stressor. VA has done the rest with diagnosis and nexus so I am just waiting. Got very nervous when they mentioned in a request for more info about this not happening on active duty. Looks like your answer solves my PTSD paranoia. Got on a plane and had a major panic attack. In 25 years I have only flown about 10 times but not without a ritual of whiskey and beer before boarding and then gin and tonics on the flight. White knuckled it all the time trying to prove I could beat this and then last year boarding a plane in denver the brakes wore out on my will power. The rest is history. You and Pete have made my day. thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Some things I have learned about Panic Disorder along the way. Although the attacks are similar some of the causes are not. I can fly on an airplane but can't sit in a crowded room. I can't wait in a line and I rarely leave the house unaccompanied. Going to the VA is ok but I could not walk in another Hospital. Sometimes I can't go to a place or stay at a place. Its weird I used to think I was crazy.

So you may have symptoms that others don't have most of the power in a panic attack is uncontrollable fear of what? When I have a panic attack I tell myself that no one has ever died from a panic attack but I have trouble believing that.

Since 1991 I have flown four times always with family and never by myself. Before I knew I had panic I used to fly 30 to 40 times a year times 2.

I found that xanax and conscious deep breathing exercise the best way for me to stop a panic attack.

Just my thoughts.

I have yet to meet someone who is cured from panic disorder although I see ads on TV that says a lady in Midwest has the cure. I don't believe it.