Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Ptsd Vs. Unemployability

Bigdan

Question

SCN_20100415131441_001.pdf I have a letter from the Chief of Mental Health as you can see at the beginning of this post. Do I need to go for Total Unemployability or 100% for PTSD. This part has me confused? I have several other letters that follow this same line of thinking. I am currently rated at 30% for scars because of burns and 70% for PTSD. I am currently awaiting OPM to approve my full Disability from the VA Hospital as an employee. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your input,

BigDan.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should ask VA for TDIU if you are not able to work

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you FERS or CSRS?

Are you FERS or CSRS?

1989 would be under FERS

SCN_20100415131441_001.pdf I have a letter from the Chief of Mental Health as you can see at the beginning of this post. Do I need to go for Total Unemployability or 100% for PTSD. This part has me confused? I have several other letters that follow this same line of thinking. I am currently rated at 30% for scars because of burns and 70% for PTSD. I am currently awaiting OPM to approve my full Disability from the VA Hospital as an employee. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your input,

BigDan.

As you can tell the reply that I thought that I lost earlier has just shown back up. New Forum, new rules, like I said I am still learning on this system on how to reply properly. It kinda makes you feel slow - Maybe it is the Meds??? Maybe the Stress??? Ok, I am totally losing it. Now it is said and it may be the real truth.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dan

You have to apply for SSD when you apply for OPM under FERS. You don't have to get SSD to get OPM, but you have to apply. This is how I did it since I was a federal employee as well. I went out on OWCP. I also applied for OPM and SSD at that time. I applied for TDIU with the VA at the same time. OPM is easy to get because it pays so little. The SSD is harder to get. If you are rated at least 70% from the VA the TDIU should not be so hard to get. I got SSD first. Then I got OPM and TDIU in that order. It takes about 3-4 months to get the OPM approved. SSD is anybody's guess. TDIU is also uncertain. Do you have long term disability insurance?

I would apply for all those things.

John,

I applied for Social Security Disability and they turned me down because I was still working. I wish I had long-term Disability Insurance but never bought any. My Attorney told me that with my case and documentation and files I will be approved for OPM Disability but it takes time - lots of time. Then I can reapply for Social Security Disability. I have used up all of my sick leave (Didn't have much to begin with) and currently still trying to work. Everyone at work has made allowances to me and for me. Waiting another 3 months for an approval might be to much for me (It has been in (OPM Disability) since 22Mar2010). I hope to hear something from my Attorney next week. Maybe I can be done by May - That is what I am hoping for anyway. Thank you for your feedback about how long it takes to process - It gives me an idea for what time to shoot for. Now just coming to work everyday is a task and when I get home I am totally exhausted. Once again thank you,

BigDan