Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Introduce Yourself

EdB

Question

I just wanted to introduce myself, I served in the US Marines from 1966 to 1969. I was in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. I am currently 60% SC disabled. I am trying to get this increased. I am appealing my deninal for sleep apnea, back and neck injuries ( they claim they don't have any record of my stay in the Navy Hospital in NC. I also have COPD that is non service connected. I appreciate any help I can get. Semper Fi

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

18 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit.

Welcome Edb you'll get great help here, Carolyn

Thanks for reply. I just received a denial for my sleep apnea claim for service connection. I also was denied for COPD, but I think it may be hard to connect them to my service connection. I am 50% SC for PTSD and 10% for Shrapnel wounds and 10% for tennitus. I might be able to link the Sleep Apnea to the PTSD, but I have to do a lot more research before I send in a NOD.

:) I an new to this site,hopeing to get good information.Mortarman

Hi, new to this site but have been reading it for long time.What great information you give. I was with 3blt 9th marines vietnam67

I just wanted to introduce myself, I served in the US Marines from 1966 to 1969. I was in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. I am currently 60% SC disabled. I am trying to get this increased. I am appealing my deninal for sleep apnea, back and neck injuries ( they claim they don't have any record of my stay in the Navy Hospital in NC. I also have COPD that is non service connected. I appreciate any help I can get. Semper Fi

EdB,

Welcome to Hadit.

I am moving this post to Claims/Benefits research.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

we was all the newbys once upon a time then we just became part of the woodwork with lots and lots of information

Mortarman

"I am appealing my deninal for sleep apnea, back and neck injuries ( they claim they don't have any record of my stay in the Navy Hospital in NC"

Have you requested a complete copy of your SMRs from NARA ?

If the hosptalization involved a change in your duty to light duty or somethng like that-I would request as well a copy of your 201 personnel file too.

http://www.archives.gov/ (National Archives)

Click on Military records and then file out the SF 180-if you do this on line they will send you a bar coded thing to print off,copy and mail to them and it will be associated with the request.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get my husband's Navy records with a note that his Marine Corps records were all at the Buffalo VARO (which is where they were supposed to be)

Have you applied for SSA ? SSA as well gets complete SMRs.

The VA told my husband they had no record at all of his VA Newark records.That is where he was first diagnosed with PTSD in 1984.

We had an appointment at SSA and they had an enormous stack of his med recs and the VA Newark records were right in the stack.Even his Vet Center records-I met him there when I was a vet center VA volunteer.

Edited by Berta

PS- dont know what your SC disabilities are-

is it possible the apnea is secondary to one of them?

Berta,

I am currently 60% overall, with 50% for PTSD and 10% for Shrapnel wound and 10% for tennitis. I don't know if I can link the Sleep Apnea to PTSD or not?

Mortarman

"I am appealing my deninal for sleep apnea, back and neck injuries ( they claim they don't have any record of my stay in the Navy Hospital in NC"

If the hosptalization involved a change in your duty to light duty or somethng like that-I would request as well a copy of your 201 personnel file too.

Click on Military records and then file out the SF 180-if you do this on line they will send you a bar coded thing to print off,copy and mail to them and it will be associated with the request.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get my husband's Navy records with a note that his Marine Corps records were all at the Buffalo VARO (which is where they were supposed to be)

The VA told my husband they had no record at all of his VA Newark records.That is where he was first diagnosed with PTSD in 1984.

We had an appointment at SSA and they had an enormous stack of his med recs and the VA Newark records were right in the stack.Even his Vet Center records-I met him there when I was a vet center VA volunteer.

I applied for my SMR's and Medical records about a month ago but haven't recveived any repsonse from them. I am currently working, but won't be able to much longer, having problems concentrating and dealing with problems at work. When I am not working I will apply for regular SSA then SSD.

If a doc says it (the apnea)is secondary to the PTSD-with a medical rationale documented then the VA will service connect it.

There is discussion and a case here that might help you:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/lofiversion/in...php/t14309.html

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome Aboard...

Mortarman

I have another quick question. Can I go ahead and file a NOD on the Sleep Apnea and wait until I hear back on getting my SMR's and then file a NOD on it at that time?

I have another quick question. Can I go ahead and file a NOD on the Sleep Apnea and wait until I hear back on getting my SMR's and then file a NOD on it at that time?

I just got a response for SMR's and NARA's and they said they would send the August 02, 2010. Boy don't they get in a hurry.