VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Letter From Surgeon Today For Iu

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Well here it is Nuerosurgeon has been treating me for several years and reviewed my latest MRI. MRI showed 3 level Degenartive disc disease (for which I am SC) and Herniated disc. it stated his opinion that I am not able to seek gainful employment due to SC back condition. Surgeon did state in his letter surgery will be needed to stabilize back with a 3 level lumbar fushion and decompression. Surgeon also stated any questions could be addressed to him about TDIU as it is in his opinion PT as back will only worsen with time. I know you all have more experience with claims for IU I would like any ideas if there is anything else I need? My current claim is at the appeal level asthey turned me down the first time. I faxed the letter to the appeals department at the VA today. Adios

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing about fusions is that you may still have pain even if the fusion is good. Do you have severe pain? Do you have numbness in legs? Not easy to work if you have those conditions. What kinds of pain meds are you on? If you take strong narcotic meds it is hard to work while in a narcotic daze. That is a factor in being IU. Drug side effects are valid reason for helping an IU claim.

One thing about fusions is that you may still have pain even if the fusion is good. Do you have severe pain? Do you have numbness in legs? Not easy to work if you have those conditions. What kinds of pain meds are you on? If you take strong narcotic meds it is hard to work while in a narcotic daze. That is a factor in being IU. Drug side effects are valid reason for helping an IU claim.

Great points about the fusion John999! Also the point about being on a serious painkiller! Excellent info!

B6

yes everthing you mentioned along with Nerve conduction studies whole nine yards. I will post as to what I hear regaurding claim as well as PM if that is OK after surgery Adios enjoy the weekend....

New to these forums - thought I'd take the plunge and join the conversation.

Oldman - I am also in my early 40's, have a similar back/sciatic/leg nightmare and trying to get IU. My surgeon actually discussed fusion with me, but did not recommend it ('you're young, you can wait for device improvements, it's permanent with mixed results, etc'). Therefore, no fusion for me.

Alternatively, I see a non-VA pain mgt doc and, after mixed results with an implanted spinal cord stimulator, he put in an intrathecal morphine pump. I now receive morphine directly to the lumbar region and it helps to cut donw on the back and leg pain. If this is new to you, you may want to conuslt a pain mgt doctor or anesthesiologist. I still take orals for peak pain periods, but the pump reduces the baseline pain level.

Keep us posted on your progress. All the best.

Eagle