Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Brown Envelope Came Yesterday

HvyGns38

Question

The brown envelope came yesterday and I was very surprised and a tad bit disappointed at the outcome.

First, they rated my PTSD at 70%, the highest possible since I am gainfully employed. However, they denied my Meneire's disease saying that my last diagnoses was in 1997 from a civilian doctor and there is nothing in my SMR to indicate Meniere's, only hearing loss. So, I have one year to see an ENT and get him to connect my military service with Meniere's or that was the onset of the disease was from military service.

Very surprised at the high PTSD rating especially since I am employed. While I struggle daily with my demons, I am still pleasantly surprised.

PTSD = 70%

Right knee = 50%

Hearing loss = 10%

Tinitus = 10%

Total = 90%

Thank you sooooo much to everyone who had the patience to answer my questions!!! I'm sure I will have more!! :)

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

19 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Grats!

What was your rating before?

My rating before was 60%. Started out at 20% in 1995 and was at that point until 2 1/2 years ago.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Awesome!

• HadIt.com Elder

With the ratings you have you are in the cat birds seat if you are not able to work.

Congrats 90% and working can't get much sweeter than that

Thanks for the kind words.

I feel blessed that things have worked in my favor without much, if any, of a fight. The Roanoke regional office has treated me well. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have always answered my questions and have been very "gentle" in the way they treated me through my PTSD episodes. I put in a claim in mid-November and had a PTSD appt within two weeks.

Now I just have the Meniere's disease fight to fight. If things work out there I will be sitting at 95.85% which equates to 100% to the VA. The money is not that important, but the chapter 35 benefits for my daughter are. :)

OOOOOORAH!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

It is hard to get over 50% for a MH issue if you are working. Maybe the VA just thinks that as long as you are working they don't have to pay the 100% which is much more than 90%. I have 90% and IU P&T. Chapter 35 benefits are good. The ChampVA alone is solid gold.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wish you the best of luck but I don't see a Vet who is working with MH Diagnosis as the lynch pin of his service connection being awarded TDIU P&T. It just does not work by definition

Hey Pete. . .I understand what you are saying. However, i have read on here before that people that are 100% still work. They just do not fill out the TDIU paperwork. I personally am not looking for TDIU. I have to work for my own sanity. If I am left to my own means without anything to do, I will drive myself crazy.

I guess what I am saying is that my vertigo episodes and my diagnosis of Meniere's from a civilian doctor equals 60% according to the VA handbook. Now, according to the VA fuzzy math that equates to 95.85 or 100% rounded up.

I am not looking for 100% for my PTSD and was very surprised that it was that high.

Does this make sense or should I not pursue anything else and be happy with what I have?

I guess what I am saying is that my vertigo episodes and my diagnosis of Meniere's from a civilian doctor equals 60% according to the VA handbook. Now, according to the VA fuzzy math that equates to 95.85 or 100% rounded up.

I am not looking for 100% for my PTSD and was very surprised that it was that high.

Does this make sense or should I not pursue anything else and be happy with what I have?

So check the combined rating chart or check the calculator on Hadit.com, in order to get to at least 95 you will need another disability that is rated as 60% just to hit that 95 to round off to 100%

• HadIt.com Elder

If you get 100% and you are not P&T that means that you will get called in for another C&P exam at some point. If they ask if you are working and you say "yes" I think the VA is going to re-evaluate your 100% rating. If your disabilites were all of the physical variety then the 100% would probably be ok. Even so you know to get 100% from the VA you have to really be disabled. Maybe Max Cleland can get work as a triple amputee and be 100%, but most of the rest of us are unable to work. If you have 70% for PTSD and get to the 100% mark I think you will always be in danger of being reduced if you are working. If you really must work then I would quit while I was ahead with 90%. This way you never have to lie or hide facts from the VA. I think you were very lucky to get 70% for PTSD and be able to work full time. I would not want to have that rating looked at again if I continue to work. May I ask how old you are? If you are not 100% for a single disability it is very hard to actually get to 100%. I got 70%,60% and five 10% ratings and I only got 90%.

Outstanding!! Another hadit success story.

Thanks for all the replies.

John999 - I am 41 y/o. I hear what you are saying about getting to 100% with multiple disabilities. I have a 70, 50, 10, 10 and sitting at 90%.

Hvygns38, Having been through the ringer with Meniere's disease and getting a claim won I thought I might pass a little info that might help in the future. If your meniere's becomes debilitating, to the point that you can no longer work, I would advise that you start the process for a diagnoses. The reason that the va will not award or service connect is that it sounds like you have yet to get a valid differential diagnoses. Meniere's is a bad disease to have. Because the cause is unknown, it is very difficult to diagnose. Here Are some examples. I had to have multiple hearing tests to show that I had fluctuating hearing loss. I had to have blood tests to rule out being born with syphilis. I had to have tubes put in to see if aural pressure could be relieved mechanically. I had to endure multiple injections through the eardrum of steroids that cause additional hearing loss. All of these treatments and tests were to rule out other diseases, and there are more. A diagnoses for meniere's is only accepted after all else has been ruled out. Its a long process and let me tell ya it can be demoralizing at times. But until you are actively seeking treatment and show history its not likely that they will award for it. I found that going through the process for me was to find relief from this disease, I realized later what the Dr was doing and Im thankful. In the end he did all he could to prove my case. And that was a VA ENT.

Good Luck and congrats on your other successes.

Diz