VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 3542

Rate this question

chr49

Question

I've run into a situation that I'd really appreciate some Hadit help with. CHR49 went for an appointment at his VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic the other day and asked for a travel voucher when he left. The receptionist handled him a signed/dated, poorly copied, barely legible form which I have finally identified as a VA 3542 (Beneficiary). I searched for this form on Hadit and found links which ran me into computer issues. I've also searched every gov form site I can find and have found that this form is no longer in use :o .

What I'm looking for is the instructions so I can properly fill this thing out and get it into the mail. If I could get my hands on a legible form with the instructions intact I'd print it off so my husband could carry some with him for use in the future. The clinic might even appreciate a legible copy :) !

Many thanks to anybody that can help me!

CHR's wife - Kathy

Edited by chr49

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

my first thought on this topic - is that the form is no longer in use, why file it?

Maybe form 10-2511 is the form you need. (http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/VHA-10-2511-fill.pdf) I searched for travel reimbursement and this is the only one that applies.

Sages, please tell me if this is correct!

my first thought on this topic - is that the form is no longer in use, why file it?

Maybe form 10-2511 is the form you need. (http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/VHA-10-2511-fill.pdf) I searched for travel reimbursement and this is the only one that applies.

Sages, please tell me if this is correct!

Hi akwidow,

Thanks for your reply on this. I really appreciate it. My thoughts go along the same line as yours, except the VA gave my husband the 3542 form with their signature as verification of his appointment. So, in my mind, we have to return this form to have proper verification.

C generally goes to the VAMC for his appointments, getting his travel pay when he leaves, so this a new process for us.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am beginning to get a "sense", a "feel", maybe a premonition....................but, after having listened to, shall we say, more than ONE veteran complain about the forms (yes, Kathy, you are not alone...............), and THEN having been exposed to the VA Travel Desk (where you go to do anything BUT travel) at the VAMC in Dallas and THEN having just been to the VAMC/Nellis and having GONE THROUGH their travel pay fiasco..................well, I can't help but wonder if this is just another diabolical PLOT (it's us against them, again............).

Seriously, if they DO NOT get the travel pay disaster that is the Dallas VAMC solved................someone is gonna go "Postal". Heck (see, Pete, I can be less vulgar than you thought), heck, you can't EVEN get ON or OFF the elevator going to the clinics in the new addition. NOT GOOD with the heat of Summer coming on.

Edited by LarryJ

I am beginning to get a "sense", a "feel", maybe a premonition....................but, after having listened to, shall we say, more than ONE veteran complain about the forms (yes, Kathy, you are not alone...............), and THEN having been exposed to the VA Travel Desk (where you go to do anything BUT travel) at the VAMC in Dallas and THEN having just been to the VAMC/Nellis and having GONE THROUGH their travel pay fiasco..................well, I can't help but wonder if this is just another diabolical PLOT (it's us against them, again............).

Seriously, if they DO NOT get the travel pay disaster that is the Dallas VAMC solved................someone is gonna go "Postal". Heck (see, Pete, I can be less vulgar than you thought), heck, you can't EVEN get ON or OFF the elevator going to the clinics in the new addition. NOT GOOD with the heat of Summer coming on.

You may be right LarryJ. I most likely shouldn't do this because it'll cause even more trouble, but I think I'll phone the Travel Office (since there is a phone number on the fact sheet C received) on Monday and see what I can find out about these forms. I hate to do it but maybe, just maybe, I will get some answers.

I know that this question makes me fall into the "risk of appearing real dumb category...."

but I was told I couldn't get mileage to the CBOC. When I started going to the VA in Syracuse, NY, I could get mileage, but not when I went anywhere else....

Have I been fooled?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

At the VAMC they will only pay travel pay on the day of service but the CBOC's don't have a travel pay agent so they give you this form. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. It's like somebody found an old form and ran it thru a copy machine on an angle, cutting off the form numbers. They didn't bother to print the instructions, nor do they bother to tell you what portion needs to be filled in. The mailing address is handwritten in the top margin. Then they attached the Benefits Fact sheet, again handwriting the mailing address/phone # in the top margin. I guess that's their way of saying, oh yeah, you deserve to get this but we're not helping you. The gal that handed it to C said nobody (??) had ever asked for one before. Hard to believe that!