VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obtaining Records For Personal Assault Claims

Rate this question

Quibley

Question

I filed my claim in April 2009 for PTSD based on an in-service personal assault. My claim lingered for a long time because of a lack of evidence. Back in November, I was reading hadit.com and I started to do some searching on the internet. I filed a request with the US. Army Crime Records Center asking for police reports/records that would document my assault and I received a copy of the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) report in late December. I submitted a personal statement with a copy of the CID report and magically, I got the letter from VA telling me to report for my PTSD C&P. My VSO told me that VA would not have given me a C&P unless they had conceded my stressor.

If anyone on this site is looking for old Army police/crime records here is the address:

Department of the Army

U.S. Army Crime Records Center

6010 6th Street, ATTN: CICR-FP

Fort Belvoir, Virginia 22060-5585

Phone: 800-511-4786

http://www.cid.army.mil/foia_forms.html

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Our man TestVet is the expert on this matter I think. Maybe he will chime in on this. I think you are right about the stressor being conceded, but with the VA who knows unless you have it in black and white.

I filed my claim in April 2009 for PTSD based on an in-service personal assault. My claim lingered for a long time because of a lack of evidence. Back in November, I was reading hadit.com and I started to do some searching on the internet. I filed a request with the US. Army Crime Records Center asking for police reports/records that would document my assault and I received a copy of the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) report in late December. I submitted a personal statement with a copy of the CID report and magically, I got the letter from VA telling me to report for my PTSD C&P. My VSO told me that VA would not have given me a C&P unless they had conceded my stressor.

If anyone on this site is looking for old Army police/crime records here is the address:

Department of the Army

U.S. Army Crime Records Center

6010 6th Street, ATTN: CICR-FP

Fort Belvoir, Virginia 22060-5585

Phone: 800-511-4786

http://www.cid.army.mil/foia_forms.html

Quibley, Thank you so much!! Gonna send a request tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for this post I can see it has already been helpful. Good Luck on your claim. I am with John I had not heard that a C&P meant that a stressor had been conceded. I don't believe the VA till I see it in writing or I get a check

I have been told that the VA does not schedule a C & P if the stressor has not been verified. I got this from a VA employee who used to work on evaluating PTSD claims, and now works helping out-processing soldiers to file new claims. I can't say whether his information is 100% gospel, but he seems to be well-respected by the others who work with him.

Hedgey, you're welcome. I hope it helps. I hope it helps any veteran looking for records to verify that an assault or injury took place.

Pete: So much for the VA's duty to assist. When I filed the VA Form 21-0781a (STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM FOR SERVICE CONNECTION FOR POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD) SECONDARY TO PERSONAL ASSAULT), on one section of the the form it states :"4. OTHER SOURCES OF INFORMATION: Identify any other sources (military or non-military) that may provide information concerning the incident. If you reported the incident to military or civilian authorities or sought help from a rape crisis center, counseling facility, or health clinic, etc., please provide the names and addresses and we will assist you in getting the information. If the source provided treatment and you would like us to obtain the treatment records, complete VA Form 21-4142, Authorization and Consent to Release Information to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), for each provider. If you confided in roommates, family members, chaplains, clergy, or fellow service persons, you may want to ask them for a statement concerning their knowledge of the incident. These statements will help us in deciding your claim. Other sources of information also include personal diaries or journals."

Despite that, my RO made no attempt whatsoever to obtain the CID/military police report that documented my assault. If there is one lasting truth that I have learned on this website it is not to depend on the VA for anything. If you want something added to your C-file, you're going to have to be the one to go out and find it.

Thanks for the kind words, and I agree that just because the VA has conceded a stressor doesn't mean that they have to award me anything. I'll believe it when I see it.

Quib

Update:

Here's the contact info for obtaining navy and marine corps NCIS criminal reports:

Personal Information: NCIS Investigative Reports:

Requests for Naval Criminal Investigative Service reports must be made in writing to:Naval Criminal Investigative Service Headquarters (Code 00JF)

716 Sicard Street SE Suite 2000

Washington Navy Yard DC 20388-5380

• Label your request "FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST," on the request and also on the envelope.
  • Describe the specific record(s) you are seeking with enough detail so that a knowledgeable agency official may locate the record(s) with a reasonable amount of effort. Such detail should include descriptive information, timeframe to be searched, full names, and any other pertinent information that may assist in identifying the subject of the request.
  • State your willingness to pay all fees or those up to a specified amount or provide a justification to support a fee waiver.
  • Be sure to include your name, address (including zip code) and telephone number.

Family Advocacy Program Reports:

The Family Advocacy Program (FAP) is a Command program. Records related to FAP are held by individual commands and not at a central location. You should submit a signed written request to the command that holds the records that you seek. For help in finding a Navy Command visit U.S. Navy Web Site Links

Other Personal Records:

If you are seeking other personal records, you will need to submit a signed written request to the record holder. The Navy's Privacy web site has a comprehensive list of all Navy System of Records Notices. Each notice provides information on who holds the records.