VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Claim So Easy

Rate this question

nsallies

Question

This should be "A claim so easy a Caveman could do it"..but its not because the VA is processing the claim. While in the service I was hospitalized for 3 days in the CCU. I was admitted through the ER with chest & jaw pain. The bloodwork showed elevated cardiac enzymes so I was admitted and treated with nitro drip,heperin drip and O2. They did 3 blood draws and the third (18 hours later) was within normal limits. Upon discharge I did a stress test which had slightly abnormal T-waves. The diagnosis was GI reflux. Some months later I was at a follow up and it was noticed for the first time I had a murmur but they said it was benign. I filed a claim and was granted 0% for mitral valve prolapse. 4 years after seperation(2005) I had a massive heart attack losing 50% of the heart muscle and have to take a hand full of meds every night for hypertension,cholesterol,something to keep my heart beat slow ect. I went to a local internal medicine doctor in 08 (VA couldnt get me in for 3 months or so) because I was having chest pains again. While there the DR told me that anytime you have elevated cardiac enzymes it means heart muscle damage most likely caused by heart attack. I didnt have a copy of my smc to get an IMO connecting the heart attack with the hospitalization while in service. I sent in a claim to connect the massive heart attack with my service hospitalization. I have a C&P exam sceduled through the QTC to determine the extent of dissability. I dont know if the VA is going to connect it with service or not. If I could just get my SMR (requested with all legal jargon 10 months ago) it would be so easy just to take it to my own cardiologist, he would look and see that I was hospitalized with "elevated cardiac enzymes" while in the service and state that I had a heart attack while in the Navy and that would be that. So any advise for the QTC exam? It will be a stress test. And does by my having an elaluation by QTC mean that the VA is service connecting the Heart problems?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This should be "A claim so easy a Caveman could do it"..but its not because the VA is processing the claim. While in the service I was hospitalized for 3 days in the CCU. I was admitted through the ER with chest & jaw pain. The bloodwork showed elevated cardiac enzymes so I was admitted and treated with nitro drip,heperin drip and O2. They did 3 blood draws and the third (18 hours later) was within normal limits. Upon discharge I did a stress test which had slightly abnormal T-waves. The diagnosis was GI reflux. Some months later I was at a follow up and it was noticed for the first time I had a murmur but they said it was benign. I filed a claim and was granted 0% for mitral valve prolapse. 4 years after seperation(2005) I had a massive heart attack losing 50% of the heart muscle and have to take a hand full of meds every night for hypertension,cholesterol,something to keep my heart beat slow ect. I went to a local internal medicine doctor in 08 (VA couldnt get me in for 3 months or so) because I was having chest pains again. While there the DR told me that anytime you have elevated cardiac enzymes it means heart muscle damage most likely caused by heart attack. I didnt have a copy of my smc to get an IMO connecting the heart attack with the hospitalization while in service. I sent in a claim to connect the massive heart attack with my service hospitalization. I have a C&P exam sceduled through the QTC to determine the extent of dissability. I dont know if the VA is going to connect it with service or not. If I could just get my SMR (requested with all legal jargon 10 months ago) it would be so easy just to take it to my own cardiologist, he would look and see that I was hospitalized with "elevated cardiac enzymes" while in the service and state that I had a heart attack while in the Navy and that would be that. So any advise for the QTC exam? It will be a stress test. And does by my having an elaluation by QTC mean that the VA is service connecting the Heart problems?

1) Upon discharge I did a stress test which had slightly abnormal T-waves. The diagnosis was GI reflux.

It will be a stress test.

2) And does by my having an elaluation by QTC mean that the VA is service connecting the Heart problems?

nsallies,

1) I don't think that a cardiologist you have today, can make much impact on changing the

discharge diagnosis of GI reflux, from back then.

2) NO.

Others will chime in.

jmho,

carlie

I have been to 2 cardiologists now they both say "Anytime you have elevated cardiac enzymes it means heart muscle damage and 99% of the time it is due to a heart attack". So as soon as I get my SMC(its only been 10 months since I requested them) I can get at least 2 IMO's stating that the GI Reflux was a misdiagnosis and that the 1st Heart Attack was in the Navy.

nsallies,

1) I don't think that a cardiologist you have today, can make much impact on changing the

discharge diagnosis of GI reflux, from back then.

2) NO.

Others will chime in.

jmho,

carlie

Just got my award letter 20Jul10 30% Service connected Coronary Artery Disease !

WOW - this is great.Elevated cardiac enzymes are a marker for heart disease.

I see you have 70% -does that include the 30% for heart disease? Are you able to work? If not did the VA send you a TDIU form?

It is a shame that the Feres Doctrine prevents suing the Military when they misdiagnose like this.

When you request medical records,you have to give the name of the military hospital you was a patient in also the year and month.