VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adding Problems To Existing Ones

Rate this question

defines

Question

Hi all im prolly not posting in the right spot but if anyone out there can give me some direction i would be thankfull. as of right now i have a 60 % rateing 30% for ptsd but as of recently my va dr has been treating me for a phyc disorder and has been prescribing me a drug called quetiapine so i did some reaserch on it to find out what it is used for and low and behold its given to treat Bipolor and Schizophrenia. with that being said seeing that they are treating me for that do i file a new claim on top of the ptsd claim? any info would be great if anyone could kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place at the momment.

TY

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

They will only rate you for one mental disorder.

If these are NSC conditions that your PTSD is aggravating-they might give you higher PTSD rating.

The VA would probably love to find some reason to say these are NSC conditions and you dont in fact have PTSD.

Has the doc said they are secondary to the PTSD somehow? (although that doesnt make sense)

or has to VA attempted to alter your PTSD diagnosis?

Is the bi polar or schizophrenia not a formal diagnosis at all or just what the meds say they are for?

The med alone might help become basis for claim for higher PTSD rating.As maybe they changed your medfs because your PTSD got worse.

When was your last rating done for the PTSD?

Hi all im prolly not posting in the right spot but if anyone out there can give me some direction i would be thankfull. as of right now i have a 60 % rateing 30% for ptsd but as of recently my va dr has been treating me for a phyc disorder and has been prescribing me a drug called quetiapine so i did some reaserch on it to find out what it is used for and low and behold its given to treat Bipolor and Schizophrenia. with that being said seeing that they are treating me for that do i file a new claim on top of the ptsd claim? any info would be great if anyone could kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place at the momment.

TY

De,

Berta is correct, but here it is anyway. Also, that med has other uses like as a sleep aide, and severe depression just to name a few. Remember not all uses will be listed, and a doctor can make decisions based on knowledge as to what to use the medication for.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

§ 4.14 Avoidance of pyramiding.

The evaluation of the same disability under various diagnoses is to be avoided. Disability from injuries to the muscles, nerves, and joints of an extremity may overlap to a great extent, so that special rules are included in the appropriate bodily system for their evaluation. Dyspnea, tachycardia, nervousness, fatigability, etc., may result from many causes; some may be service connected, others, not. Both the use of manifestations not resulting from service-connected disease or injury in establishing the service-connected evaluation, and the evaluation of the same manifestation under different diagnoses are to be avoided.

Edited by *Bergie*

I can only add or suggest the next time you go to your VAMC, stop by the ROI(Release of Information) office and request a copy of your recent medical records(like the last few visits no more) get them and read what the doctor says your condition is and you can go from there.

As always hope the best