VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Over One Year , No Decision

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All, I am sorry I have not been around the board much , but I am having some problems. First I have now been at the DRO on a Notice to Reconsider for over one year. My lawyer keeps saying she checks in and they tell the lawyer that "there are alot of vets ahead of me and we are working on it". You all are familiar with this tactic. Any ideas on this one?

I have had some problems with my autoimmune system and bloodwork. Infections , swelling, and more pain. I had nothing but trouble from my PCP and the VA has fired him so now I am with a new doctor who does not know anything about me. I have been trying to get to a Rheumatologist and Hemotologist for the last 3 years, to find out why my immune system is failing and the bloodwork is bad.( RBC low, high Basil and Alts, high Sedimentation, high Lymphocytes, and some other readings ) I already have doctors opinions on this in the cfile. My VA podiatrist has told me,but not put it down in the Progress report, that my bloodwork is looking like Leukemia and my personal doctor has said the same thing. My personal doctor cannot get anyone to call him back and I am scheduled to see my new VA PCP in about 6 weeks. The Rheumatologist appointment has been "discontinued" whatever that means. I was told it means they are going to send me to a new facility or a fee basis doctor. I don't know what to think.

I do not have my personal doctor or VA podiatrist yet on record to formally say they suspect Leukemia only verbal. My personal doctor called me last month and told me that the VA knows I am sick but that they are going to stall me until I die. He is treating a couple of other exposure vets and is very familiar with the VA's shenanagens. I am still trying to hang in there but I am dealing with the PN , Restricted Lung Disease, IBD , Hypertension, Dry Eyes and now my system trying to shut down. I can tell you that it has been a real challenge over the last 3 years and it is getting worse. The pain is almost intolerable even with pain meds and sleeping pills and a spa , which I use at least once and sometimes twice a day to help ease the nerve damage and muscle damage.

How do you get the VA to move? I tried the Patient Advocate with a little success but not much. The congressmen and senators have been a joke. My lawyer says don't make any waves yet. I still have several more claims to file that were not filed and have been told to wait on a decision before filing them.

Once again , sorry for being gone so long but its not because I want to be. I try and read the board once or twice a week. The Lord is really going to have to do something soon. But I can tell all of you one thing......................

NEVER GIVE UP........ God Bless, C.C.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hello All, I am sorry I have not been around the board much , but I am having some problems. First I have now been at the DRO on a Notice to Reconsider for over one year. My lawyer keeps saying she checks in and they tell the lawyer that "there are alot of vets ahead of me and we are working on it". You all are familiar with this tactic. Any ideas on this one?

I have had some problems with my autoimmune system and bloodwork. Infections , swelling, and more pain. I had nothing but trouble from my PCP and the VA has fired him so now I am with a new doctor who does not know anything about me. I have been trying to get to a Rheumatologist and Hemotologist for the last 3 years, to find out why my immune system is failing and the bloodwork is bad.( RBC low, high Basil and Alts, high Sedimentation, high Lymphocytes, and some other readings ) I already have doctors opinions on this in the cfile. My VA podiatrist has told me,but not put it down in the Progress report, that my bloodwork is looking like Leukemia and my personal doctor has said the same thing. My personal doctor cannot get anyone to call him back and I am scheduled to see my new VA PCP in about 6 weeks. The Rheumatologist appointment has been "discontinued" whatever that means. I was told it means they are going to send me to a new facility or a fee basis doctor. I don't know what to think.

I do not have my personal doctor or VA podiatrist yet on record to formally say they suspect Leukemia only verbal. My personal doctor called me last month and told me that the VA knows I am sick but that they are going to stall me until I die. He is treating a couple of other exposure vets and is very familiar with the VA's shenanagens. I am still trying to hang in there but I am dealing with the PN , Restricted Lung Disease, IBD , Hypertension, Dry Eyes and now my system trying to shut down. I can tell you that it has been a real challenge over the last 3 years and it is getting worse. The pain is almost intolerable even with pain meds and sleeping pills and a spa , which I use at least once and sometimes twice a day to help ease the nerve damage and muscle damage.

How do you get the VA to move? I tried the Patient Advocate with a little success but not much. The congressmen and senators have been a joke. My lawyer says don't make any waves yet. I still have several more claims to file that were not filed and have been told to wait on a decision before filing them.

Once again , sorry for being gone so long but its not because I want to be. I try and read the board once or twice a week. The Lord is really going to have to do something soon. But I can tell all of you one thing......................

NEVER GIVE UP........ God Bless, C.C.

I'm not sure what to say about your DRO situation, but as for your other claims file them NOW. The longer you wait the less retro pay you get. I have 2 pending DRO reviews, and 3 pending claims. It may slow things but the retro is worth the wait. In your case that would have been possibly a years worth of retro or more. One thing you can do if you haven't yet is call the #1-800-827-1000 number and ask for a clarification of your case. I did this and the DRO called me about 2 weeks later.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

CC

No reason to defer a legitimate claim. You are trying to figure out the VA and who knows what will happen. The effective date is very important. You can request that these new claims be deffered.

Capt. I wish I could do something but I will pray that you get grace to deal with any affliction including the VA.

Pete

Hello Pete,,,,,,, THANK YOU for all of your help and especially any prayers....it has really helped and I am most appreciative and humble to those whose prayer list , I have ended up on. I will ask my lawyer what we need to do concerning this deferred state. You have battled this monster alot longer than me. I have been at it for only alittle over 3 years with claim dates so I am just getting started. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

Hello Bergie,,,,, I posted for Petes answer and saw yours .....yes I agree I am going to file the other claims. Thank you for the help . God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

DRO takes about one year SOP. You could write to him/her and ask if there's anything he needs from you in order to make a favorable decision! If you have any additional evidence that relates to the DRO file, send it certified mail ASAP. Hang in there!! Sorry you are in so much pain. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings:

I remember when the VA started the DRO program. It was originally set up to have another set of eyes review a decision with the power to grant therefore speeding up the process. Now it delays more claims than it helps.