VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To All Of This

Rate this question

Bubblehead

Question

Hello everyone, Bit about myself I served in the USN Submarine Force (Bubblehead) and was discharged from the service back in April of '05. Just yesterday I finnally got the long awaited as well as dreaded response back on my Service Connected Disability claim, which awarded me with a suprising 100% Direct Service Connected disability for Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I Wish I could say that I am relieved by the Service Connection, but I am all too well aware that it has all only just begun. I have no idea of what to do next, when/how I will get my DD-214 corrected, if I should/can keep my present job, etc. so any good advice would be most welcomed.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As for my work, I am quitting it.. for one thing it has not nothing but greatly worsen my mental condition. I just now need to decide how to do so, wether to give them two weeks nottice or to simply quit on the spot, citing that I am now a 100% disabled veteran.

Bubblehead,

I strongly feel that you should speak with your/a, MH provider regarding how your MH disability

effects your employment.

I would ask if they agree that employment has a negative impact on your SC'd MH and

vise-versa,

If they are in agreement I would ask them to write a brief letter of support stating something to this effect.

I would want something from a MH doc stating I am unable to continue being employed due to my

SC'd MH disability.

I would want it to be a doctors opinion and not just my opinion.

At this time your 100 % SC is not covered by either the 10/20 years of SC'd protection.

jmho,

carlie

jmho,

carlie

Bubblehead,

I strongly feel that you should speak with your/a, MH provider regarding how your MH disability

effects your employment.

I would ask if they agree that employment has a negative impact on your SC'd MH and

vise-versa,

If they are in agreement I would ask them to write a brief letter of support stating something to this effect.

I would want something from a MH doc stating I am unable to continue being employed due to my

SC'd MH disability.

I would want it to be a doctors opinion and not just my opinion.

At this time your 100 % SC is not covered by either the 10/20 years of SC'd protection.

jmho,

carlie

jmho,

carlie

I do also have other reasons for quitting my job, such as a corrupt company that is backed up by the union, numerous grievances filed for policy and ethics violations, retaliations against me for filing grievances.... etc.

Also without this job which has me working every weekday, I will actually be able to go to appointments and seek mental assistance. That all being said I submitted my two weeks notice this morning.

I will however inquire as suggested as to eployment eligibility and the impacts of such once I am receiving treatment.

I do also have other reasons for quitting my job, such as a corrupt company that is backed up by the union, numerous grievances filed for policy and ethics violations, retaliations against me for filing grievances.... etc.

Also without this job which has me working every weekday, I will actually be able to go to appointments and seek mental assistance. That all being said I submitted my two weeks notice this morning.

I will however inquire as suggested as to eployment eligibility and the impacts of such once I am receiving treatment.

Bubblehead,

The information posted above may have a negative impact on your

future claim for SSA benefits among other things.

Quitting employment on a voluntary basis due to things like,

"other reasons for quitting my job, such as a corrupt company that is backed up by the union, numerous grievances filed for policy and ethics violations, retaliations against me for filing grievances.... etc.",

is not what SSD grants benefits for.

Also, SSD will not agree that employment does not prevent claimants from accessing

medical services and treatment.

I feel it is of importance that you get additional information, so hopefully others

will continue chiming in on this thread.

There are certain steps you need to take and certain steps that you may take,

that are not in your best interest.

When did you first file your claim for MH disability after you were discharged ?

Are you currently on any RX'd medications ?

jmho,

carlie

My apologies, with my condition many things are hard to explain or put into the proper veiw point.

I'll try to sum things up a bit better... I'm unmedicated, paranoid, and I'm pretty convinced that everyone IS out to get me.

I dont recall when I first went into the VA and got turned down either, the last 5 years since my service has kind of been a blur/nightmare.