VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Kidney Transplant

Rate this question

Kirk

Question

I am 100% p&t sc for renal failure requiring dialysis. I just had a kidney transplant last month. In reading the CFR it says that a kidney transplant qualifies for 100% for one year post transplant and then it is rated as renal insufficiency not less than 30%. Under renal failure requiring regular dialysis it lists it as 100% p&t.

Having been on dialysis for 9 years and 100% p&t for 8 years will I be reduced one year from my transplant? I'm really unclear on this. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kirk

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA has to follow certain rules to reduce you. One of those is that they have to give you 60 days notice, also giving you a chance to protest the proposed reduction. One attorney recommended that, if the VA does send you notice of a proposed reduction, you ask for a hearing. One reason is that the time for a hearing gives you time. Its kind of nice for Vets to be on the recieving end of these long delays for a change. That is, you keep on recieving your benefits while the Va is scheduling you a hearing.

Probably some of the most credible information available about VA rating reductions is offered by Katrina Eagle, a Veterans attorney. Try this link:

http://jimstrickland912.com/Reductions.html

Having read Katrina Eagles article again, I find it very interesting that, in reduction cases, the VA schedules a hearing in 2-3 months. However, if you are waiting on benefits, then it will probably be 2 to 3 years. All of the sudden, the VA finds a way to cut out the delays when it comes to rating reductions, but when it comes to approvals, the VA finds a way to delay. No wonder Vets are upset.

• HadIt.com Elder
I am 100% p&t sc for renal failure requiring dialysis. I just had a kidney transplant last month. In reading the CFR it says that a kidney transplant qualifies for 100% for one year post transplant and then it is rated as renal insufficiency not less than 30%. Under renal failure requiring regular dialysis it lists it as 100% p&t.

Having been on dialysis for 9 years and 100% p&t for 8 years will I be reduced one year from my transplant? I'm really unclear on this. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, I saw your post and just recalled that some patients get hypertension after a kidney transplant. If that happens you may want to consider filing a claim to service connect hypertension secondary to your service connected kidney condition.