VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange And Ihd Claim

Rate this question

Donna

Question

My husband (a Viet Nam Vet) filed a claim on hearing loss and IHD in 2006. He has suffered 3 heart attacks since 1994 and the heart muscle has weakened to a point of needing an ICD implant in 2004. The claim for the heart disease was denied for not be SC and hearing loss was rated 10%. On 4-7-10 he filed a request to reopen his claim. We stated the reason as IHD related to AO and it is well documented in his files through private doctors. Two questions: the reply we recieved referenced CAD not IHD, I am thinking the reg states IHD includes CAD, am I right? and I have read that any vet having a ICD implant would receive a 100% rating, is that true? We are seeing a VCO Thursday. I need a place where we can ask questions.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The SSD claim was for the heart disease. He served 11 years in the military and worked for Boeing for 25 years. He had to take early retirement because of the heart condition. Thanks for your help. I would not understand any of this had I not found this site. You all are great people. Oh and yes, the VA is aware of the SSD claim and what it was for.

<h6 class="uiStreamMessage"> My private cardiologist has documented that I also suffer from occasional congestive heart failure. How would this diagnoses compare to the guidelines of "Chronic Congestive Heart Failure" per VA Guidelines?...This is additional to my severe Coronary Artery Disease. I also have severe small vessel disease as well.

These particular medical reports have been submitted as new and material evidence on my appeal for an increase rating along with having additional stents a month ago, there's also documentation of "Patient has history of prior ejection fractions as low as 10 percent but it has recovered to 35 percent"...

But my main question pertains to the congestive heart failure issue of being occasional.

</h6>

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if a vet has congestive heart failure and IHD the VA is going to try and blame all vets conditions on the congestive heart failure which is not AO presumptive. I would put the kabosh on the congestive heart failure discussion with the VA.

I think if a vet has congestive heart failure and IHD the VA is going to try and blame all vets conditions on the congestive heart failure which is not AO presumptive. I would put the kabosh on the congestive heart failure discussion with the VA.

Iwasn't diagnosed with congestive heart failure until 2008. I had already been diagnosed with IHD/CAD ini 1991 and have been since. CHF is a secondary condition to my CAD. Besides I've already been award SC for CAD secondary to SC hypertension. My private cardiologist has wrote his medical opinion in a Nexus that my early onset of IHD/CAD was caused by AO exposure.

• HadIt.com Elder

What is your rating now? If you are IU or 100% for ten years it does not matter what you die from your spouse gets DIC. If less than ten years you must die from SC condition. This is why you probably want a autopsy to show for sure exactly what was your cause of death so there is no doubt it is SC. This way you also get funeral paid by Uncle Sam. I am in the same boat. I am CAD for 60% secondary to AO DMII. I must be sure to die from SC condition, and avoid out of control beer trucks.

Carlie posted something regarding an 81 year old widow who had been denied DIC for 16 years by the VA, so if they can screw you and yours they will do it.

What is your rating now? If you are IU or 100% for ten years it does not matter what you die from your spouse gets DIC. If less than ten years you must die from SC condition. This is why you probably want a autopsy to show for sure exactly what was your cause of death so there is no doubt it is SC. This way you also get funeral paid by Uncle Sam. I am in the same boat. I am CAD for 60% secondary to AO DMII. I must be sure to die from SC condition, and avoid out of control beer trucks.

Carlie posted something regarding an 81 year old widow who had been denied DIC for 16 years by the VA, so if they can screw you and yours they will do it.

Presently I'm rated at 10 percent for CAD/HHD and 10 percent SC for hypertension. However, the va sent me a notice a few weeks ago that they had opened a New Claim for IU and sent me an IU form to fill out and send back. I did NOT request the IU. I have been appealing for a higher rating and earlier effective date. But I have been on SSDI since 1996 due to CAD and have not worked since then and the VA has my SSDI Payment records. So that makes me believe they know I'm unemployable due to CAD and there's enough evidence in my claim file that shows I do have severe CAD and low ejection fractions, from 10 percent to 35 percent.