VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Staff Infection In Foot

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been sick for about the last ten days with a severe staff infection in my foot. I had to go into the hospital for three days and have my foot opened up and drained. Now I am on an IV drip with antibiotics. This came from a very minor surgery to my foot. This is why I have not been around Hadit. I am on a damn walker. I got a hole in my foot and every day I have to have the dressing changed and the wound packed.....yeow, howl, groan!!!! The first time they repacked the wound I was howling and climbing the wall. That smarts.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

John

Sorry to hear about the infection. You are lucky that you got treatment before it got worse.

Missed ya

John999

It's good to hear that you are back home and being well taken care of. That type of infection/wound takes time to heal properly so please take care of yourself!

• HadIt.com Elder

I have talked about people with DMII being very careful about their feet, and now it happens to me. I feel like trying to sue that podiatrist who kept saying it was just a "rash" on my foot. Maybe if I had gotten the proper DX I would not have had to have my foot cut open to the bone, and be on IV antibiotivs for two weeks. These staff infections are becoming very common after any kind of surgery, and their are infections that are resistent to regular antibiotics. If the infection gets to the bone you are in serious trouble. We are talking losing a limb. When staff gets to the blood system you become septic and you can die. I had the infection for about three weeks before it exploded. All the time I was being treated with antibiotics, but I needed a major infusion of antibiotics. I am really pissed about this since it started in February and I just got surgery Monday before last. I can see the VA really missing something like this and a vet dying. I am surrounded by hospitals and doctors here in Tampa and have medicare. I finally went to the ER after my dermotologist said I was really sick and needed to go to the hospital. It started because I got cyrosurgery for foot pain. It was supposed to be minimally invasive and I was supposed to be cured in a week. The doctor made a small hole in my foot and injected a very cold substance deep into my foot. Beware this "new breakthrough" treatment.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have talked about people with DMII being very careful about their feet, and now it happens to me. I feel like trying to sue that podiatrist who kept saying it was just a "rash" on my foot. Maybe if I had gotten the proper DX I would not have had to have my foot cut open to the bone, and be on IV antibiotivs for two weeks. These staff infections are becoming very common after any kind of surgery, and their are infections that are resistent to regular antibiotics. If the infection gets to the bone you are in serious trouble. We are talking losing a limb. When staff gets to the blood system you become septic and you can die. I had the infection for about three weeks before it exploded. All the time I was being treated with antibiotics, but I needed a major infusion of antibiotics. I am really pissed about this since it started in February and I just got surgery Monday before last. I can see the VA really missing something like this and a vet dying. I am surrounded by hospitals and doctors here in Tampa and have medicare. I finally went to the ER after my dermotologist said I was really sick and needed to go to the hospital. It started because I got cyrosurgery for foot pain. It was supposed to be minimally invasive and I was supposed to be cured in a week. The doctor made a small hole in my foot and injected a very cold substance deep into my foot. Beware this "new breakthrough" treatment.

Naw, John, it wasn't the "new break-through" treatment. The "treatment" didn't cause this, the germ did, and, there wasn't a whole lot that could have been done differently to change your outcome.

It was the Staph.

http://www.medicinenet.com/mrsa_infection/article.htm

A "nosocomial" infection that my wife, as a recovery room nurse supervisor, has to "fight" everyday. They even have MRSA recovery rooms set aside for those patients that have Staph A., to keep them from passing this along to the un-infected. You will have a heck of a time getting rid of it, but, who knows, it could have been "with you" for a long time and just became "active" due to your surgery. You will need to make sure and tell any medical personnel that you do have, or have had, MRSA, for the good of the other patients that you may come into contact.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you.