VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Er Visit

Rate this topic

I went to the ER after talking with the VA's 1800# back in 06 for a service connected migraine. The bill was like 2200 the hospital sent the bill to the VA but they never paid. Should the VA pay this bill since it is service connected and the ask-a-nurse # told me to go? Also I am 70% and the last time I went to the VAMC they charged my Insurance(through wife,only had it a year now) for an EKG is this acceptable and what I should expect?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the ER in SEPT of 09 for rectal bleeding. I was on Plavix for my heart. Scared me pretty bad. Thought I was going to beed out. Did not stop at GO did not collect 200 dollars, did call the VA, went to the nearest ER. I filed with the VA as I am SC for prostate cancer. I have private insurance. I thought the VA should pay as my prostate cancer is SC. The bill was almost 10K for less than 24 hours. Filed with the VA, they denied the claim. Turned out I have radiation proctitis from radiation therapy. (Eighteen months after therapy, Boy I wish somebody had warned me about that!) VA said if I had private insurance it had to pay no matter what. I could appeal. I appealing. I just want the VA to pay my deductibles and co-pays. That was in the $3500.00. so I won't be out of pocket.

• 1 year later...

Also I am 70% and the last time I went to the VAMC they charged my Insurance(through wife,only had it a year now) for an EKG is this acceptable and what I should expect?

Yes, the VA is required by law to bill an active insurance for the treatment of any NSC conditions even if the veteran is 100%. They will not bill you whether they receive a payment from the insurance or not because you are in PG1. If you were PG5-8 and it was not related to an environmental factor or recent combat (5yrs) whatever the insurance paid would be applied towards the veterans copay.

Edited by faofficer

• HadIt.com Elder

Fee Service with VA is very hard to deal with for many. VA is supposed to pay for emergencies provided you notify the VA as soon as possible and it is considered a true emergency. Fee service will also pay if the service is authorized in advance. Some of the real sick Vets have authorized payment without it being an emergency.

They are very hard to deal with and are slow pays. Many Veterans here have eventually had VA pay but it is never easy.