• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Esophageal Cancer Appeal Granted

Thanks Pete. I also lost my brother (USAF) Vietnam 1969-70 to leukemia. He died 8 months after my husband did. My sister-in-law has chosen not to seek DIC because of the stress involved.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Susan -that is a shame that she feels that way.But I sure can understand it.

If he had Chronic Leucocyte Leukemia-died due to it or its complications and if he was incountry Vietnam-

that should be a very easy claim for the VA to award.

Also they have just added Hairy B Cell Leucocytes to the new AO presumptives.

• 1 month later...

No, my brother had Acute Myloid Leukemia. Diagnosed around Christmas 2006, died February 2007.

I was just reading a post on another site and it said the VA had a 6 month freeze, per their VSO, on all BVA granted claims. Anyone know about this?

I've heard nothing from the VA since I won my appeal. I did contact them via IRIS and got the following response:

"Upon researching your file, our records indicate we have received the notice of grant of benefits and the claim is with our Columbia Regional Office for the final administrative steps which need to be completed prior to the claim being completed. This process is in place to ensure accuracy and we don't have a date it will be finalized as of yet. We appreciate your patience and you will be notified via US mail once the grant of benefits has been finalize. Your notification letter will explain our decision and payment in detail."

Don't know what they mean by "explaining our decision" as the BVA granted my appeal for cause of death, denied for accrued PTSD, so the decision has already been made.

I've never filed for death benefits. Without the award letter I can't file for anything I don't think. I have the paperwork here for CHAMPVA (I requested it) and property tax exemption but need

that award letter to file. I would hate to think that there is a freeze on BVA decisions. Now that I'm finished with my appeal, time is dragging..I just want it over and put behind me so I can

decide where to go next with my life.

• HadIt.com Elder

"I was just reading a post on another site and it said the VA had a 6 month freeze, per their VSO, on all BVA granted claims. Anyone know about this?"

I am sure they did not support this rumor with any link.

"I've heard nothing from the VA since I won my appeal. I did contact them via IRIS and got the following response:"

I got an award letter in two weeks after the BVA awarded my claim.They forgot to send me the cash.

This matter was finally resolved last month- almost a year after the BVA award- it was an unusual situation though-No one should have a BVA award frozen.A recent court decision prevents them from holding back on any awarded claim- if there were other issues deferred or denied.

I forgot the name of the decision- anyone here remember?

You should be hearing from the VA soon on the award.The retro DIC should come fast too.

"I've never filed for death benefits. Without the award letter I can't file for anything I don't think. I have the paperwork here for CHAMPVA (I requested it) and property tax exemption but need "

I would think your original 21-534 covered all benefits you were eligible for.

CHAMPVA= VA may or may not send you the CHAMPVA app- did you get it on line?

Yes CHAMPVA will need the actual award letter and it should be retro to any expenses you had during the time frame they gave you as an EED (I assume it will be to date of your husband's death unless there are other factors that would possible change that as retro date)

"Don't know what they mean by "explaining our decision" as the BVA granted my appeal for cause of death, denied for accrued PTSD, so the decision has already been made"

they will have to explain the denial of accrued benefits. It should be a complete statement of the award.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am wrong -it wasnt a CAVC decision -it was a Fast letter and it is here: