VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Help For Ms

Rate this question

tami

Question

Good afternoon. I am hoping some of the wise members here can help me :D I was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I had my C&P exam two weeks ago, and the VA Doc stated that since it is in my military medical records that i first sought treatment in 2004 for numbness that he was going to say that I've had MS since then. My question is, will I be compensated from that point or from the time I applied?

Also, does anyone know how they rate the "degrees" of MS? I know it starts at 30% but I've searched and can't find any info.

Thank you in advance for your time and help

Tami

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tami:

Sorry that you have MS but glad it will be service connected. Your effective date is probably going to be the date you applied. With few exceptions that is what it is for most of us.

Pete

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/jul...38cfr4.124a.htm

This shows the minimal rating of MS at 30% but there is a caveat further down the page as they must rate residuals and also-if the MS prevents you from working they must rate at 100% or TDIU (100% comp rate)

If you go to the BVA site via the VA.gov site- then you could search MS in the BVA decisions to see how they rate various residuals of MS.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is just my opinion but you may have a claim dating back to service . . . at least "I'd" pursue it. If I recall correctly MS can be service connected, by presumption, for a 7 yr period. As the saying goes nothing ventured, nothing gained.

pr

I guess I am "lucky" in that the VA Dr I have is very pro veteran and seems to be very against the bigwigs in the VA system. He wrote based on what I presented that I have had MS since 04 (retired in 06) I'll just have to wait until I get that envelope to see what my next steps are! Again, thank you all for your input

Tami

Correct-7 years presumption for MS but I would think the claim would still have to have been filed within the presumptive period-of 7 years---

this is a good point Philip-

does the one year within discharge date apply to a MS presumptive claim or is it in fact 7 years?

I tend to believe VA would still hold to the one year after discharge filing date of the claim-but if the MS manifests itself within the 7 years-

---- I need to snoop around on this one-

any thoughts out there?

MS claims usually receive staged ratings-until the MS affects substantial employment----

And the best IMO doc for any MS claim in my opinion-(although he is expensive) is Dr. Bash of course because he is disabled vet with MS himself.