VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiring Benefits For 30% + Dav

Thanks to all for this great forum,

I have a SCD (30 Yrs.), will soon have total knee replacement surgery..... Am wondering what I can do afterwards as far as preferential treatment towards employment with the Fed G'ment or State G'ment or any additional help that I may be entitled to..Do any private nationwide companies, etc., offer preferential hiring for 30% + Disabled Veterans... I am 52 yrs old. I need help!!! I know that after the surgery I'll be entitled to 30 to 60% disabilty from the VA, but I still need something or I'll lose my house, which is not great and I'm upside down on... The job I now work is not going to wait on me to recuperate and get up to full or even half speed..............

Thank You So Much,

Shillnav - Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Most govt agencies won't even touch you until you have recuperated from whatever surgery you are having done I spent 2 decades at the Postal Service and they were even getting rough on SC vets when I left in 2000 good luck but most companies don't offer 10 point veterans any preference except state and federal jobs

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all for this great forum,

I have a SCD (30 Yrs.), will soon have total knee replacement surgery..... Am wondering what I can do afterwards as far as preferential treatment towards employment with the Fed G'ment or State G'ment or any additional help that I may be entitled to..Do any private nationwide companies, etc., offer preferential hiring for 30% + Disabled Veterans... I am 52 yrs old. I need help!!! I know that after the surgery I'll be entitled to 30 to 60% disabilty from the VA, but I still need something or I'll lose my house, which is not great and I'm upside down on... The job I now work is not going to wait on me to recuperate and get up to full or even half speed..............

Thank You So Much,

Shillnav - Steve

The Fed Lists all Job Openings at USAJobs.gov. You can put resumes, fill out apps, leave on file for positions of interest for all agencies and they will contact you when there is an announcement made. Avet gets a 5 point preference and a disabled vet 10 points. Find the Code Ex: 510 Auditor, Location TX, look for open announcements you qualify for if any. If not look at requirements and leave interest for them to call you when opening comes up.

But Fed jobs are becoming far and few due to all these budget problems. Anotheer month or so IRS will be hiring Temps for coming filing season. Period of training, then processing, and preparing, filing reurns for 6 months to 9 months.

As far as disability Fed has I believe has Law and hires handicapped and alters office locations to accomidate disabled. So do some very major Nat'l companies. Saw just last week some announcements forget where I have amnesia but retired 27 yrs IRS 100%.

ausgmblr

• HadIt.com Elder

Check with your VAMC on the job issue.........also you will get 100% for several months due to the knee replacement.

You could also look into Voc Rehab.

If the knee is service connected you will get 100% for 12 months. Unless there are problems afterwards your rating will be 30%. I had my first of three total replacements in 1998 and just got bumped up to 60%. The service connected knee has been operated on nine times. I said all that to say this. Before you leave the hospital try and get a copy of the Dr's procedure with dates and etc. That should be all you would need in filing for convelesant.

The faster you file the quicker the money comes. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Things are different today than when we got disabled.

Law requires certain accomadations for disabled employees. Like the ramps you see everywhere now.

The Fed gives 5pts. to vets and 10 to disabled vets. Fed job openings at usajobs.gov, The States & Counties have their own web-sites Where I'm at City jobs are under County. Most applications are filed on line. Border patrol took 100K app's, by test on line for 35000 jobs.

Their is a web site for corps that are giving preferential treatment to Vets. I think it's like 51. Fields like whse. labor, security to electronic engineer. The web address I've forgotten. But I was at it just yesterday. One of my disabilities is amnesia, sorry. Best of Luck..

Ausgmblr