VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiring Benefits For 30% + Dav

Steve,

When applying for a federal job you will be given a point preference. Unfortunately, it's not as helpful as it used to be. They used to have the "rule of three". That more or less forced the hiring authority to hire a Vet, who had the minimum qualifications, over a non-vet. There was federal hiring reform back on May 11, 2010 that got rid of that. They claim it will help Vets. I really doubt it though. Unless You are fortunate enough to apply where a Vet is charge and does the right thing, it's hard to get hired even with the preference.

Even back when the "rule of three" was in force, I applied for quite a few jobs. If they didn't want to hire a Vet they would "cancel" the job listing, claim they were no longer looking to fill that position and just re-post the job on USAJOBS a few days later.

I would strongly advise that You look into Voc-Rehab. Collect the living stipend and improve your skills while You are convalescing. A little bit of a hassle, but well worth it in the end.

Shawn

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd agree that the government bureaucrats, over the years, have managed to dilute the meaning and weight of veteran's preference beyond reason.

When I was still working within a DOD agency in the earlier part of the decade, hires were either female with experience AND a member of a minority group or "kids" just out of school.

The ideal hire was a spanish surname disabled female veteran with a business degree. (But not too disabled, or "accommodations" would need to be made by law.)

The agency was coming out of a hiring freeze, and there were no replacements for those nearing retirement. Yet, qualified veteran's were being turned away.

The basic problem was that veterans tended to try and get things done, even if the "rules" had to be stretched a bit.

The bureaucrats take the opposing view that it doesn't get done unless there is an unmistakable and complete "fit" with the "rules".

(And, this was at a post 9/11 time when the military needed to get the support and logistics systems to work as fast and efficiently as possible.)

There are/were "wartime rules" that might have been applied to speed things up. But "that's not the way we do things".

Steve,

When applying for a federal job you will be given a point preference. Unfortunately, it's not as helpful as it used to be. They used to have the "rule of three". That more or less forced the hiring authority to hire a Vet, who had the minimum qualifications, over a non-vet. There was federal hiring reform back on May 11, 2010 that got rid of that. They claim it will help Vets. I really doubt it though. Unless You are fortunate enough to apply where a Vet is charge and does the right thing, it's hard to get hired even with the preference.

Even back when the "rule of three" was in force, I applied for quite a few jobs. If they didn't want to hire a Vet they would "cancel" the job listing, claim they were no longer looking to fill that position and just re-post the job on USAJOBS a few days later.

I would strongly advise that You look into Voc-Rehab. Collect the living stipend and improve your skills while You are convalescing. A little bit of a hassle, but well worth it in the end.

Shawn

I'd agree that the government bureaucrats, over the years, have managed to dilute the meaning and weight of veteran's preference beyond reason.

When I was still working within a DOD agency in the earlier part of the decade, hires were either female with experience AND a member of a minority group or "kids" just out of school.

The ideal hire was a spanish surname disabled female veteran with a business degree. (But not too disabled, or "accommodations" would need to be made by law.)

The agency was coming out of a hiring freeze, and there were no replacements for those nearing retirement. Yet, qualified veteran's were being turned away.

The basic problem was that veterans tended to try and get things done, even if the "rules" had to be stretched a bit.

The bureaucrats take the opposing view that it doesn't get done unless there is an unmistakable and complete "fit" with the "rules".

(And, this was at a post 9/11 time when the military needed to get the support and logistics systems to work as fast and efficiently as possible.)

There are/were "wartime rules" that might have been applied to speed things up. But "that's not the way we do things".

For a long time, a common Federal managers' hiring practice was to post two lists, an all-sources list and a merit promotion list. Veterans got a higher spot on the all-sources list and couldn't be bypassed for someone lower on the list who wasn't entitled to preference. The merit promotion list is different ... veterans can get referred on those lists if qualified, but preference doesn't apply. There's no obligation to hire the MOST qualified person, just *A* qualified person. So the manager would get both lists back, and hire from the one where his/her desired candidate was in reach.

A lot of the higher-graded jobs are going to be filled from that merit promotion list. Sure, you can apply for them and make the list if qualified, but it doesn't mean you'll get them. The manager probably has someone in mind.

Vet preference doesn't guarantee a job, all it does is possibly get you some measure of consideration.

(Been there done that, former GS-11 equiv.)