VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got The P&t Decision Envelope

Rate this topic

out_here04

wife finally brought in the mail and in it was the decision envelope from my dreaded c&p examination ...and it says i have been rated 100 percent anxiety/depression has not changed and that i am now rated permanent and total. this was followed by:

"basic eligibility to dependents' educational assistance is established from (feb. date of exam)."

the blue pages with the rating decision reads:

"basic eligibility to dependents' education assistance is granted as the evidence shows you currently have a total service-connected disability, permanent in nature. we have granted an effective date of (feb. date of exam), the date the evidence shows you are permanently disabled."

so, i have that to celebrate, i guess. other questions now coming up are:

as far as DEA, my wife could use this but we would really like our daughter to use it. but she is married and turns 26 in june, the last year (if she qualifies as a dependent)., there are waivers i've heard but would the experts please repost the applicable va regs dealing with this?

thanks for all support,

out_here04

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wife finally brought in the mail and in it was the decision envelope from my dreaded c&p examination ...and it says i have been rated 100 percent anxiety/depression has not changed and that i am now rated permanent and total. this was followed by:

"basic eligibility to dependents' educational assistance is established from (feb. date of exam)."

the blue pages with the rating decision reads:

"basic eligibility to dependents' education assistance is granted as the evidence shows you currently have a total service-connected disability, permanent in nature. we have granted an effective date of (feb. date of exam), the date the evidence shows you are permanently disabled."

so, i have that to celebrate, i guess. other questions now coming up are:

as far as DEA, my wife could use this but we would really like our daughter to use it. but she is married and turns 26 in june, the last year (if she qualifies as a dependent)., there are waivers i've heard but would the experts please repost the applicable va regs dealing with this?

thanks for all support,

out_here04

another question is, should i NOD the decision based on the date being just recently and i had actually applied for tdiu about three years ago, would that be some backpay issue? i have been rated 100 percent temporary schedular for anxiety/depression for about two years with backpay to about three years.i also get statuatory housebound for having other issues totaling up to 60 percent in addition to 100.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think it would be worth the effort to try and get earlier P&T unless you appealed the denial of the chapter 35 when you got the 100%. If you appealed the denial of chapter 35 your P&T date should go back to the date you got 100%. That is the way I did it. I got IU but was denied chapter 35. I appealed that denial and got P&T back to initial grant of IU.

My son gets DEA and he is 26. If you START school before age 26, they will let you finish the approved college. She needs to hurry! Also, DEA is not limited to one child. Im pretty sure about this one, cuz he is doing it. Sorry I dont have a link..I think the VA keeps this one of those closely guarded secrets they dont want you to know about..like VA employees phone numbers.

I know that school wont start for her till fall..but I think it still may work as long as she applies before age 26, but dont hold me to that one. You see, once your kid is eligible and applies and is approved, the age doesnt matter that much anymore unless they drag their feet and go part time for a long time..I seem to recall you have to be done by age 31.

Try here:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH35/CH...let_General.htm

Edited by broncovet

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use