VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

Bob-e

Question

If as a boy I had witnessed my little brother drown (CPR resuscitated) in the family pool then as an adult I witnessed one of my classmates in SAR school drown (Oxygen bottle resuscitated). The SAR drowning exacerbated the earlier PTSD from childhood. Does that fall under the purview of the law?

Also, as a Navy whistle-blower in 1985., when the US Navy branded, slandered and libeled me publicly in the press, and in the very halls of Congress while I testified to Congress about the $320,000,000 fraud, waste and abuse on the USS Kitty Hawk. The mental trauma I received prior to that from being thrown into the streets with seventy-two days left on active duty, without any support from the Navy, made me feel as abandoned as Chuck Connors in the television show Branded™. Being branded, and drummed out of service, and then having the VA turn its back on me since 1993, has left me twenty-five years later with Dysthymia, MDD, PTSD and Panic Attacks.

I am not in good health and am mentally and 100% physically permanently disabled. I went to the VA last week for a meeting with my third psychiatrist in five months. Yeah, one part assembly-line socialized medicine, one part shuffle the buck and the final piece - having my psychologist insult me multiple times.

Anyway, I had a melt down and yelled at the new psychiatrist, which turns out is NOT a good way to let off anger. Of course, until the VA approves my service connected, and service caused claim, the shrinks can't actually talk with me about what is causing my mental problems and anguish - Catch-22.

They almost admitted me - that scares me. My wife was there and assured them just because I yelled doesn't make me dangerous. I was just pissed-off about be pissed-on by the VA.

I just want fair and legal compensation, and treatment, so I can have an opportunity to once again see happiness in the world - instead, of hidden threats from ghostly foes.

Please read my blog if you want to know more: http://cid-5d732de5984e829c.profile.live.com/

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. First of all were you diagnosed with PTSD when you went into Navy for the childhood incident as from your description you probably have a bonafide stressor and should be rated accordingly.

The other thing you really need yo know is you can proceed with treatment and not worry about what it will mean to your claim.

You need to work on getting tools to deal with PTSD,

Go to the VAMC and request all of your medical records since you were treated.

While you are at VANC see a Service Rep you usually find where they are located and sign in and ask them to start the ball rolling for your claim.

File for Social Security Disability if you have not already

Pete53,

Thank you for you tips. At 18 I didn't even know what PTSD was so there was no diagnosis. I am in treatment - although, in five months I have been passed around and am now on my third shrink. The shrink who did my "Intake" diagnosis passed me onto a psychologist. He insulted me three times and I had to ask for a new one.

I have a claim in with VA - 17 years now!

I am trying to get a news organization to pick up my story as a human interest story. Twenty-five years later and nothing has changed in the military procurement process since I blew the whistle on it in 1985.

I have a VSO, Washington County, Oregon. He is worthless and didn't even file the appeal when I received my last turn-down in February, 2010.

To learn more you can read my blog: http://cid-5d732de5984e829c.profile.live.com/

Thank you for caring,

Bob-e

Welcome to Hadit. First of all were you diagnosed with PTSD when you went into Navy for the childhood incident as from your description you probably have a bonafide stressor and should be rated accordingly.

The other thing you really need yo know is you can proceed with treatment and not worry about what it will mean to your claim.

You need to work on getting tools to deal with PTSD,

Go to the VAMC and request all of your medical records since you were treated.

While you are at VANC see a Service Rep you usually find where they are located and sign in and ask them to start the ball rolling for your claim.

File for Social Security Disability if you have not already

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes I am accused of being, well.............abrupt.

For example:

Don't tell me about "your blog".

Why?

Because it makes me think that you want to "be heard" more than you want to "be helped".

Now, if you want to be helped, then Pete and the Gang here at hadit will be more than helpful.

And, as it concerns your concerns about the PTSD and whether you will or will not get treatment for the PTSD, when, in fact it has not been "officially, claim-wise, diagnosed" then that is a meaningful concern. The VA has facilities located away from the BIG HOSPITAL, where you can seek help for PTSD symptoms, without being "inducted" into the VA healthcare mainstream (I'm having one of my "mdd moments" and can't function on high-enough level to remember what these facilities are called (probably ought to GO TO ONE myself) but others here will help you and I out in remembering what they are called).

oh yeah, by-the-way, welcome.

• HadIt.com Elder
The VA has facilities located away from the BIG HOSPITAL, where you can seek help for PTSD symptoms, without being "inducted" into the VA healthcare mainstream (I'm having one of my "mdd moments" and can't function on high-enough level to remember what these facilities are called (probably ought to GO TO ONE myself) but others here will help you and I out in remembering what they are called).

oh yeah, by-the-way, welcome.

They are called "Vet Centers".

• HadIt.com Elder
They are called "Vet Centers".

YEAH! Dat's it. "Vet Centers".

psssst! hey bob do ya think i outta go to one of them, could they help me with 'memberin' "stuff".............?