VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Was Given Bad News Today

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I will be as brief as I can, but that always means it's going to be long. A little history about me; I am 80% sc'd but 100% IU. It is for depression, left knee pain, and tinnitis. The IU was awarded back to Feb of last year. I recently applied for p&t, along with hypertension and ED. I was denied both hypertension and ED as the VA says, there is no evidence that it is service connected. The last several months I have been having lightheadedness, and fatigue. I thought it was due to the change in my bp meds so I didn't mention it to my doc nor did I worry about it; until last weekend I had several episodes of blacking out. I went to the ER last week and was given a halter monitor to wear for 24hrs, I turned it in last tuesday and now comes the bad news. Today I was called by my primary care doc and told to go to the ER since the halter monitor showed a third degree AV block. This has me worried since this has seemingly come from nowhere, I have no history of cardiac issues other than high blood pressure. I know that I can not get this sc'd without connecting the high blood pressure. Tomorrow, I go back to the ER for evaluation and possibly a pacemaker. I'm less than 45 years old and I'm freaking out. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your support and ideas.

/doc

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suspect that they will do an angiogram and if intervention required you will wake up with a stent.

Good Luck you need to see what is needed.

• HadIt.com Elder

navydoc2 - I just did a quick search and it probably won't be a big deal. Pacemaker implantation is generally a short procedure and relatively safe. I've got an incomplete bundle branch block and will probably be looking at a pacemaker in my future, too.

Pete - I didn't see a stent mentioned. I believe a third degree AV block is an electrical problem and doesn't effect the arteries and therefore probably no stent.

I agree with Philip Navydoc -

my plumber would too- he is a vet and had this procedure done by the VA last year.(Pacemaker)Although he is in his 60's the VA said he is still employable and he feels great.

Your doctor will know if the pacemaker is needed-and when-the fact they caught this problem will save your life.

"I know that I can not get this sc'd without connecting the high blood pressure. Tomorrow, I go back to the ER for evaluation and possibly a pacemaker."

If the doctor documents that this is in any way an ischemic heart disease problem-(but it might not be) then file a claim under the new AO IHD regs if you served during the Vietnam War in the Pacific.

You might not have any ischemia at all (IHD)-but if you do --veterans and advocates are working every day to attempt to get HR 2254 a reality for Blue Water Vietnam Veterans.(The AO Equity Act)

Edited by Berta

Thanks Berta, no I was not Vietnam Vet. I was active during shield/storm; but saw combat in Somalia. I am IU from the VA so this may or may not help with SSD which I'm on appeal at the moment with the first time being denied. Thanks again.

/doc