VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Rated At 100% For Ptsd Is My Spouse Elegible For Any Medical?

Rate this question

theeos

Question

About 5 years ago after I returned from Iraq, I filed a claim for compensation and was awarded 100% for PTSD, but not p&t. The award letter stated that there would be a future examination on my claim. Well, I thought by now I would have been reevaluated. My spouse and I recently moved to Texas, and she has not been able to find employment yet, and has no medical insurance. I understand she is not eligible for CHAMPVA because I'm not p&t. Is there something she does qualify for her medical? She is a diabetic and her medical expenses are piling up on us right now. Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

About 5 years ago after I returned from Iraq, I filed a claim for compensation and was awarded 100% for PTSD, but not p&t. The award letter stated that there would be a future examination on my claim. Well, I thought by now I would have been reevaluated. My spouse and I recently moved to Texas, and she has not been able to find employment yet, and has no medical insurance. I understand she is not eligible for CHAMPVA because I'm not p&t. Is there something she does qualify for her medical? She is a diabetic and her medical expenses are piling up on us right now. Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

Have you applied for SSD? You will get medicare for your dependents if you are approved for SSD but you need to file a claim!

I would advise you do it as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

You should ask the VARO to look at P&T cause after 5 years not much chance things will change and if they do they can always review your award.

Talk to your VSO but I think that you should request that your award be made 100%. After 19 years dealing with VA I don't know anyone with PTSD who was cured.

• HadIt.com Elder
Have you applied for SSD? You will get medicare for your dependents if you are approved for SSD but you need to file a claim!

I would advise you do it as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

B6

That is true about the Medicare, the only problema that I see is that, after you wait the requisite 5 months that SSD holds you back.........then it is two years before Medicare kicks in. In other words, IF everything goes RIGHT vis a vis the Medicare claim, it's two and one half years before Medicare.

• HadIt.com Elder

Down-load a VA Form #21-4138 from the VA website. Simply state on the form that you are requesting an increase in benefits to P&T rating due to the fact that it has been 5 years since you were rated 100% WITHOUT a P&T rating and that your disability has not improved (if it has worsened, then so state).

When you are then rated 100% P&T the CHAMPVA folks in Colorado will pay you back anything that she has been out as far as medical care/medication is concerned.

But, YOU MUST get that 21-4138 turned in, to establish your effective date of your claim for P&T.

When you were awarded yout 100% for PTSD, were you established at being Totally Disabled due to Individual Unemployability (was a form 21-8940 turned in by you?)?

If not, then get that one filled out and sent in, and forget about the form #21-4138.