VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Rated At 100% For Ptsd Is My Spouse Elegible For Any Medical?

Rate this question

theeos

Question

About 5 years ago after I returned from Iraq, I filed a claim for compensation and was awarded 100% for PTSD, but not p&t. The award letter stated that there would be a future examination on my claim. Well, I thought by now I would have been reevaluated. My spouse and I recently moved to Texas, and she has not been able to find employment yet, and has no medical insurance. I understand she is not eligible for CHAMPVA because I'm not p&t. Is there something she does qualify for her medical? She is a diabetic and her medical expenses are piling up on us right now. Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Larry:

I don't know what pharmacy you use but almost all in North Texas will allow you to get your Medicine and all you have to do is make a 25% copay.

No need to save the forms and file it your self.

Pete

I use Alberston's Sav On and if they take it I bet yours does also.

The Wife has insurance thru her work. She uses that, primarily, and uses the CHAMPVA after the primary insurance (her work insurance) has paid off. In other words, the CHAMPVA IS her co-pay. It is just easier for me to file for that as to have the drug store have to turn around and make a second billing to CHAMPVA to cover the cost of her co-pay. It is kinda funny, but we have better healthcare insurance now than we have had all our married lives. She has her work insurance, then the CHAMPVA and then the CHAMPVA supplemental policy thru American Military Retirees Association, and, then, of course, I have the VA and Medicare.

Bravo6 - 1st it's called SSDI, not SSD. Second, dependents aren't eligible for Medicare thru your claim.

pr

ITS THE SAME THING EITHER WAY, SSD or SSDI! SO I WAS WRONG ABOUT MEDICARE.....I CAN ADMIT THAT!

NOW WHAT!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder
ITS THE SAME THING EITHER WAY, SSD or SSDI! SO I WAS WRONG ABOUT MEDICARE.....I CAN ADMIT THAT!

NOW WHAT!

B6

Yeah, PR, really now! If you get toooo technically precise some of us that are on "medication" will simply wig-out and go to sleep...............thereby losing the most interesting participants in this gang of hooligans.

NOW WHAT!

B6

In my previous life I was a Licensed Mental Health Practitioner and it was informally referred to as SSD by everyone. I used to do evaluations for GAU and SSA to help determine eligibility for SSDI. Don't sweat it. If you are awarded SSDI you children may be eligible for a stipend paid to a custodial parent. The kids won't get medical. What is cool is my daughter turned 18 last year and SSA dropped her, but I am receiving nearly the same amount with one dependent. So once you get it and your kids start leaving the nest the child benefit doesn't change much. Now that is for two children. I don't remember if the same thing applies to more kids, but I know their is a cap.

I think a lot of Vets, myself included are afraid if they assert themselves they'll lose everything. I had a similar experience. I was awarded 70% TDIU 100% and it was about 4 years since my award and I went to my VFW DSO and filed a request for P&T award. Within 3 months I had another C&P and P&T, but the key for me was that I had to be the driving force duing the process. The only reason that I got it so fast is follow-up, follow-up, follow-up. It was taking forever for the contractor to send my C&P results to VA so I wrote a letter of compleint to VA that the contracted provider was dragging her feet. I talked to the provider's boss and kept things moving. Download and complete VA Form #21-4138. Make sure you attach supportive documentation indicating in support of P&T. The amount of time to become eligible to use Medicare I will tell you be longer than filing claim for P&T from my experience. Just saying. I even asked and received a note from my VA shrink stating that he "agreed with me, that given my current mental status blah, blah attemtping to return to work would cause my condition to worsten." I think the first line of offense should be pursuing P&T.

Just get the upgrade to P&T and then your dependents will be eligible for CHAMPVA.

Follow the link to the CHAMPVA Web Site and read. Information is power.

http://www4.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

Once you get P&T go down to SSA Local Office and work with them up close...not to close.

Yeah, PR, really now! If you get toooo technically precise some of us that are on "medication" will simply wig-out and go to sleep...............thereby losing the most interesting participants in this gang of hooligans.

That would be me. I am glad to be back on Hadit. This forum and the information helped me at the beginning of my journey through the VA system some years ago. All I can hope to do is give back something.