VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If You Live In Georgia, You Want To Read This About Ptsd!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/law-l...amaged-license/

Veterans groups are blasting Georgia lawmakers for passing legislation that would allow a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder to appear on driver's licenses.

Not only is this unconstitutional, it's patently prejudicial.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it for EVERYONE diagnosed with PTSD, to include police, fire, domestic and rape victims (for example).

The things our government bodies are doing to ostracize veterans is completely dumbfounding, foolish, and down right discriminatory against veterans!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have put in about 20 applications in the past 2 years and ALL the places asked if I was a Veteran and you have to check the box that describes your status ie. Veteran, Disabled Veteran, Reserve...ect. This is for Places like Walmart, Sears, even McDonalds..

Checking military service and if you're going to opt for veteran's preference points is okay and not a violation. The employer just cannot ask what the nature of your disabilities (i.e. medical conditions) are. That is illegal.

And just for those who don't know...I do have a Paralegal degree, and one of the areas I learned of and have researched is employment law (among 38 CFR and the USC governing Veterans Disability Benefits); so you know I'm not just making wild statements about what is or is not legal.

T.S.

• HadIt.com Elder
Checking military service and if you're going to opt for veteran's preference points is okay and not a violation. The employer just cannot ask what the nature of your disabilities (i.e. medical conditions) are. That is illegal.

And just for those who don't know...I do have a Paralegal degree, and one of the areas I learned of and have researched is employment law (among 38 CFR and the USC governing Veterans Disability Benefits); so you know I'm not just making wild statements about what is or is not legal.

T.S.

You are right on target T.S. It is comforting to know that we have good people like you looking out for us, however,....

The posting of this topic "If You Live In Georgia"... demonstrates how laws can be changed. Protections we take for granted today, can change tomorrow... Georgia's attempt to change the law reminds us, "nothing is written in stone". Not the "Code of Federal Regulations". Not even the U.S. Constitution...

Edited by Commander Bob

chr49

do most places ask about your percentage?

Foreman

I filled out applications for 3 companies, all of which were under government contracts. I had been told they favored disabled veterans. Their applications asked specifically what my disabilities were but did not request percentages.

T.S.

Troy

Thanks for the information. I remember that at least one of these companies was one that I was opting for veteran's preference. In honesty, it's been nearly a year ago but I know I was asked specifically what my disabilities were because I didn't want to put them on the application. I stopped applying at large companies for this specific reason. I was well qualified for the positions I was applying for and had excellent references so I can only assume that either my disabilities or age halted the process. Things may have ended differently if I had gotten a chance to be interviewed.

Foreman

I filled out applications for 3 companies, all of which were under government contracts. I had been told they favored disabled veterans. Their applications asked specifically what my disabilities were but did not request percentages.

Federal, state, county or private businesses cannot ask what an individual's disabilities are...period. The ADA, among other laws (EEOC) prevents this.

Just finished dinner and in the middle of watching 'The Mentalist' with my wife. When I get the chance I will cite some specific references as to how and why asking anyone, veterans or otherwise, about their medical conditions is illegal.

T.S.

PS. I'm a background investigator for a law enforcement agency, so I know what can and cannot be asked as a part of my job.

The posting of this topic "If You Live In Georgia"... demonstrates how laws can be changed. Protections we take for granted today, can change tomorrow... Georgia's attempt to change the law reminds us, "nothing is written in stone". Not the "Code of Federal Regulations". Not even the U.S. Constitution...

Another thing I learned getting my Paralegal degree is how one state is usually a testing ground for passing a law, and while the other states watch, if that law (or particular public policy) continues unconstested...than usually other states follow suit; especially when that law is not challenged in the courts.