VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If You Live In Georgia, You Want To Read This About Ptsd!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/law-l...amaged-license/

Veterans groups are blasting Georgia lawmakers for passing legislation that would allow a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder to appear on driver's licenses.

Not only is this unconstitutional, it's patently prejudicial.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it for EVERYONE diagnosed with PTSD, to include police, fire, domestic and rape victims (for example).

The things our government bodies are doing to ostracize veterans is completely dumbfounding, foolish, and down right discriminatory against veterans!

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

did any one think this law might help vets especially from IRAQ and AFGAN, I know if I was a unseasoned war veteran just a a silly cop or smart cop trooper or not a run on a tag that shows a code of PTSD only visible from the PDCAD system on tracking, knowing that ok he is driving fast ...ok i see vet plates.... ok he is driving in the middle lane o..ok the check came back he is a war vet, with service induced PTSD. will do a routine stop and check for wellness.

ok the trooper has reason for suspicion, have been drinking? no... can you explain your driving. NO or yes if you want to shit shat, depending on your attitude you will walk away scott free without tiket without offense its a WELNESS check, does it violate your rights well yeah, in a way. so what.

There is no logical way that this law could possibly help vets, especially OEF/OIF veterans. It stigmatizes them along with any other veterans, and it is an unnecessary invasion of privacy.

Having veteran or disabled veterans plate is all a law enforcement officer needs in order to identify a driver of a vehicle may be a veteran (the spouse may be driving the car). The other thing law enforcement needs (which is already under way in many states) is the proper Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) regarding mental health issues, and not just PTSD and TBI where veterans are concerned, but all people who may suffer from a mental health issue.

T.S.

I think if the cop got something back indicating the vet he was pulling over suffered from PTSD the cop would be fingering his pistol as he approched the vet's car. I remember the "crazy Vietnam vet movies" all too well. Many of the cops might be war vets as well and they are thinking "If this guy has PTSD he may freak out on me". Does he have a gun? Better call for backup".

Some cops don't even know if the suspect they're approaching is or is not a veteran, and even if they can guess that they are (given the fact that they're wearing fatigues and all geared up as if they were back in Iraq or Afghanistan), some officers have been properly trained; whereas some agencies train to have a more aggressive, hands on approach. Here are two examples, one agency doing it right...and the other doing it wrong.

In Hillsboro, Oregon two officers, one a veteran himself, acted bravely and put his own life at risk to save a veteran who was acting out violently due to his PTSD:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODVA/INFO/docs/VETSN...MayJune2010.pdf (Read Bottom of Page 2 - these two officers are getting a commendation award)

In Eagle Point, Oregon two deputies and an OSP Trooper opened fire on a veteran acting out violently due to his PTSD:

http://www.ktvl.com/articles/point-1194968-eagle-police.html

The Jackson County Sheriff's Office has a hands on approach (i.e. hands on and take the suspect to the hospital first, get medical clearance, than bring him to jail in that order NOTE: hands on = be physical with the suspect), and they lack the proper CIT training regarding mental health issues. So they shot first, and getting caught up in the shooting, the Trooper fired as well, likely thinking he was backing up the deputies.

Based on all that I have been learning and being a part of the growing interest through my position at the law enforcement agency I work at, that many agencies are working to better understand and appreciate what our veterans are going through, especially OIF/OEF veterans, and are getting the proper training (like Hillsboro, Oregon has, among others) to handle veterans exhibiting symptoms of PTSD and TBI in order to produce a more positive outcome for both the veterans and the officer's safety, not to mention society's as well.

However, there are some agencies that have either not taken an interest or refuse to (because many don't like change) receive the proper training in altering how they handle veterans vs. the average suspect they come across far more often.

Anyhow, point is in the law enforcement community is taking on a growing interest in doing things right by veterans, as well as in the courts too. There are several Veterans Courts (like drug courts) that provide a second chance through rehabilitation or diversion than strict incarceration (e.g. DUII offenses).

• HadIt.com Elder

Troy

You know cops shoot mentally ill people all the time. They come to a situation where some person has flipped and is obviously insane, and they don't have effective non-lethal means to deal with that person. Some crazy bastard is standing in the road with a knife to his own throat and the swat team arrives. Just look at UTube and you can see many examples of cops beating the hell out of drunks that just piss them off. My friend the black MP said when he is driving in the civilian world the first thing he does when pulled over by cops is stick both hands out the window so there is no mistaken bullet to the back of his head.

My private psychiatrist does evaluations of policemen after incidents. He told me most of them should not even be allowed to carry a Swiss Army knife. They are dangerous. I pity anyone who cannot cooperate with a cop's commands due to mental illness. They are going to get hurt. I do respect the law, but I realize these guys are not social workers. Social workers don't carry Glocks and shotguns.

Troy

You know cops shoot mentally ill people all the time.

"all the time" is an absolute statement that is simply untrue.

I do not deny that some officers do shoot mentally ill people, as it has happened in Portland Oregon a few times, among other places throughout the country.

BUT...not all cops shoot mentally ill people ALL the time.

There are far more properly trained and experienced officers on the road entrusted to protect society than there are improperly trained and inexperienced officers, as well as the classic "bad apples" that make it a larger problem than what it really is.

There are brave men and women officers, deputies, and troopers who put their lives on the line to save the individual before using deadly force (like the Hillsboro, OR example I gave in a previous post); the same as we would in combat to save our fellow soldier.

So please, don't paint all cops with such a broad brush...

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree T.S., but John999 makes a good point.

I wish all law enforcement were kind and gentle , protecting & serving. However, those with borrowed power have to be kept on a short leash, or we may one day we wake up in a Police State.

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

I am one who believes that when you license plate is run a lot of info shows up including all the tickets every used with the Lic Tag, the probable driver, insurance paid or not and if you are a Service Connected Vet I bet they even know what for

I know that early in my fight with the VA I also had a fight with the IRS and the woman who handled my case was a bich from hell. She may be the reason I broke down in 1991 although the Gulf War had a lot to do with it as all my kids were certainly of age that could have been drafted it we went to that.

Anyway after I got a diagnosis at VA for Mental the bitch from hell who called almost every day and even came to my house with two Agents displaying their guns backed off completely. It was like one day in your face and the next day no contact whatsoever.

The VA used to protect your medical info also but now that they are getting money from private insurance you know that they are turning over all your medical information to Insurance and it is all over the internet now.

HIPPA is a joke