VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Current Tdiu Claim And Moving To Another State

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

Hi All,

Need advise! I have a claim in for TDIU based on statments from VARO on my award letter for PTSD @ 70%, in the letter they state the Dr. who did the C&P made a lot of reference to unemployability issues and the VA requested I file for TDIU in the letter!! I have sent the employer statements etc. Here is my question. My wife and I are moving from Michigan to Colorado the end of June this year. Can I transfer the claim to the VARO in Denver or do I have to drop the claim and refile once I'm a Colorado resident??? We are moving to Montrose county in SW Colorado, the closest VAMC is Grand Junction only 60 miles or so from our home, since I am currently an ongoing CPT patient how do I transfer my medical and pysch records to Grand Juntion?? Also there is the problem of ongoing controlled substance medications I take every day and I don't think I should be in a postion of no meds during the transition. If anyone has been successful with this kind of moving situation please respond as it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your assistance with this.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Terry, Carlie, Pete53 and John999, thank you for your advise and input!! I agree I should leave the "sleeping dogs lie" and not move the claim to the Denver VARO, worst case if they want another C&P I can fly back to Michigan, however I seriously doubt they will order another exam. I'm 67 years old and can go postal at any given moment and they know that, all of the therapy, group sessions and CPT have not been able to move me from my stuck points, I guess its been too long, too many years. So I take the meds and live in peace and harmony with my fellows until someone really throughly urinates me then all bets are off. So if I read all the advise correctly I should not notify the VARO of the move to Colorado; the USPS will forward 1st class, Priority and Express mail for 12 months, if not adjudicated within the 1 year timeframe I can have mail sent to veteran friend who is neighbor and he will forward to me. I understand how to get meds at another VAMC. Here is a question. Should I inform the Battle Creek, MI VAMC I am moving to Colorado so my records can be forwarded or should I just go to the Grand Junction, CO VAMC and have them request my records? Again thanks for the imput and encouragement. Maybe once I am through all of the claims processes I will understand how the system works and be able to help my brother and sister veterans just begininning the process.

Terry, Carlie, Pete53 and John999, thank you for your advise and input!! I agree I should leave the "sleeping dogs lie" and not move the claim to the Denver VARO, worst case if they want another C&P I can fly back to Michigan, however I seriously doubt they will order another exam. I'm 67 years old and can go postal at any given moment and they know that, all of the therapy, group sessions and CPT have not been able to move me from my stuck points, I guess its been too long, too many years. So I take the meds and live in peace and harmony with my fellows until someone really throughly urinates me then all bets are off. So if I read all the advise correctly I should not notify the VARO of the move to Colorado; the USPS will forward 1st class, Priority and Express mail for 12 months, if not adjudicated within the 1 year timeframe I can have mail sent to veteran friend who is neighbor and he will forward to me. I understand how to get meds at another VAMC. Here is a question. Should I inform the Battle Creek, MI VAMC I am moving to Colorado so my records can be forwarded or should I just go to the Grand Junction, CO VAMC and have them request my records? Again thanks for the imput and encouragement. Maybe once I am through all of the claims processes I will understand how the system works and be able to help my brother and sister veterans just begininning the process.

The USPS will not forward documents mailed from the VA, not sure why. I tried this once when I had to go out of the country for several months, the mail was sent back to the VA. The next time i left the country I did an address change so the VA mail went to my sister's address. I kept it this way for years. I would strongly urge you to find a friend or relative in Michigan who the VA docs could be sent to and put in a change of address to their home, then have them forward it on to you in a separate non government envelope.

The Grand Junction VAMC should have your records on their computer.