VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get Declared Unable To Work

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I am told that I should be considered unemployable due to the symptoms of my ptsd but I didn't see that anywhere in my medical records. How do I go about discussing this with my therapist or should I say how do I go about getting to her say I cannot work. I have ptsd and am most days not able to leave home. When I do I am nervous to the point of not being functionable. Any info from you guys would be appreciated.

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cm,

I am trying to let you know that you are ALSO eligible to have

services provided at the Vet Centers.

This could easily be additional medical evidence for your claim issues

along with therapy to help you with your struggles in life.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Many Veterans prefer Vet Centers to VA for the simple reason is Vet Center is focused on helping Veterans and not playing the VA Games.

OOk thnx for that info. When you say vet centers are you talking about like the vamc's or something different. Please advise

Cm,

I am trying to let you know that you are ALSO eligible to have

services provided at the Vet Centers.

This could easily be additional medical evidence for your claim issues

along with therapy to help you with your struggles in life.

carlie

Cm,

Vet Centers are located away from the VAMC.

They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from VAMC's.

I highly recommend them.

In an earlier post I provided you a link for Georgia.

carlie

This first link is the Home page link for Vet Centers:

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/index.asp

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/Military_Sexual_Trauma.asp

Military Sexual Trauma Counseling

What is military sexual trauma counseling?

Military sexual trauma counseling may include individual or group counseling, marital and family counseling, referral for benefits assistance, liaison with community agencies or substance abuse information and referral to help you deal with the emotions of military sexual trauma and regain confidence in your everyday life.

Am I eligible for military sexual trauma counseling?

Any veteran who was sexually traumatized while serving in the military is eligible to receive counseling regardless of gender or era of service.

Where are services available?

Medical services are available at your local VA Medical Center and can be accessed by contacting the Military Sexual Trauma Coordinator (or Women Veterans Program Manager). Assessment and referral for sexual trauma counseling are available all all Vet Centers. On site counseling is available at selected Vet Centers across the country.

THNX FOR THE INFO

I wnated to as in re to the op. should i just ask my doctor to write me a letter saying i cannot work due to my symptoms or is that something she should just know to do. I had my ptsd appointment tuesday and she did not discuss that with me at all. A VSO is who mentioned to me that I need this letter. Said my symptoms are worse than hers and for she got one and it helped her with her va cliam. got her the tdiu... i think it would help me with my ssdi cliam also but no matter what its what i am living now and i am soooo stressed because i cant get over the symptoms right away and i need to be able to work i am stuck in the middle and its getting harder to keep going with the stress and all that is on me. Then the claim is making me have to deal with the issues even worse i dont know what to do.

Troy,

Didn't the requirement for well-grounded go out the door around 1999, just prior to

enactment of VCAA ?

carlie

Nope, unfortunately not. It's still a basic premise of the "system," that whomever makes the claim has the burden of proof in substantiating that claim. But it goes both ways. If a veteran provides proof and the VA denies that proof, then the burden shifts to the VA to substantiate that denial (which they often do not and flat refuse to unless you force it to the BVA level, which is where the Regional Office usually gets their clocks cleaned by the BVA when a claim is granted and the government has to pay back huge retro checks).

All the VCAA does is force the VA to provide assistance to the veteran in obtaining records, etc. on his/her behalf. Once they get those records, the VA can still make excuses in not accepting them or claiming they are not "new and material evidence."

The VA simply will go out of its way to make the case for the veteran...if they did that, a lot of veterans would get approvals rather than denials and that means a lot of money the government simply does not want to spend, hence the denial, delay, and yet another denial for as long as possible with one excuse after another - all of which amounts to the veteran not providing enough information for a well-grounded claim establishing a connection between their condition and their military service.

T.S.