VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Dx To Be Based On Vets Own Testimonies

Rate this question

Chu Lai69

Question

This is the article that I was telling everyone earlier about VA easing up on confirmed stressors. It states this is NOT just for Iraq and Afaghansitan wars but it is for all in previous wars. I scaned the artical from the VFW Nov/Dec issue 2009. I hope I can up load the PDF file here.PTSD.pdf

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA wanted to make it easier for vets to get SC'ed for PTSD they could simply make PTSD presumptive for any vet who has served in a combat zone. All the tinkering around the edges just raises people's hopes. I don't believe the VA is going to make it that easy to get SC'ed for PTSD when they have a tidal wave of claims coming at them and for years to come.

Carlie my original post on this was posted on "quotes from my VA PSYC that tied into this article.

So lets just keep our fingers crossed and "never give up the ship" as you Navy boys and girls say LOL Or as you Marines say "Simper Phi" Or as us Army Viet Nam Vets say "It don't nuttin," It don't mean a thing" LOL

Chu Lai,

Keep in mind that the docs do not know as much about VA claims adjudication

as they may try to make us think. They are doctors not VA decision makers.

They only provide medical information and they have little to do with how the

decision maker is supposed to weigh ALL of the evidence versus, just their information.

I will certainly continue to have hope.

Without that - I'd be totally lost

jmho,

carlie

I thought there were already changes in relations to ptsd stressors.. where in relation to MST anyways. I though they look for verifiable stressors, then they look for markers in the absence of the stressor to show that there was the possiblity of stressor adn if this lines up they are able to award sc based on what ever other info they have for the vet. I have had people email me info saying this is how it goes. But i see none of you guys here talk about this. as a matter of fact you guys basically make me think that unless you have it in the records you are toast without years of fighting. I am just trying to understand it all here. I have very little hope after reading most of the stuff here. Almost ready to give up in face. please advise.

thnx

I thought there were already changes in relations to ptsd stressors.. where in relation to MST anyways. I though they look for verifiable stressors, then they look for markers in the absence of the stressor to show that there was the possiblity of stressor adn if this lines up they are able to award sc based on what ever other info they have for the vet. I have had people email me info saying this is how it goes. But i see none of you guys here talk about this. as a matter of fact you guys basically make me think that unless you have it in the records you are toast without years of fighting. I am just trying to understand it all here. I have very little hope after reading most of the stuff here. Almost ready to give up in face. please advise.

thnx

Cm,

Yes, for MST, usually addressed by VA as PTSD secondary to personal assault,

when the assault (MST) happened and it was not reported, VBA is to look for markers

and additional information that may help support that the assault took place.

You can use the Hadit search feature for MST info.

Also, here is information from M21-1MR.

Hope this helps.

carlie

17. Developing Claims for Service Connection for PTSD Based on Personal Trauma

Introduction

This topic contains information on developing claims for service connection for PTSD based on personal trauma, including

general information about personal trauma

the evidence required to establish service connection

the process for obtaining information from the Veteran

the letters to use to obtain information from the Veteran

the process for obtaining service records

the problems associated with development

alternative sources for information, and

the process for obtaining police reports.

Change Date

September 8, 2009

a. General Information About Personal Trauma

Personal trauma is an event of human design that threatens or inflicts harm.

Veterans claiming service connection for disability due to in-service personal trauma face unique problems documenting their claims.

These incidents are often violent and may lead to the development of PTSD.

Examples:

Rape,

physical assault,

domestic battering,

robbery,

mugging,

stalking,

and harassment.

b. Evidence Required to Establish Service Connection

To establish service connection for PTSD, there must be credible evidence to support the Veteran’s assertion that the stressful event occurred.

This does not mean that the evidence actually proves that the incident occurred, but that there is at least an approximate balance of positive and negative evidence that the event did occur.

STYLEREF "Map Title"

17. Developing Claims for Service Connection for PTSD Based on Personal Trauma, Continued

c. Obtaining Information From the Veteran

Identifying possible sources of evidence to support the claim may require asking the Veteran

for information concerning the traumatic incident.

Make this request as compassionately as possible in order to avoid causing further trauma.

Although personal trauma is most often thought of as involving female Veterans,

male Veterans may also be involved.

Be sure requests for evidence/ information reflect the appropriate gender of the Veteran.

d. Letters to Use to Obtain Information From the Veteran

When writing a letter to obtain information from the Veteran regarding a claim based on personal trauma, use MAP-D and select the personal assault option from the PTSD special issues screen.

Enclose VA Form 21-0781a, Statement in Support of Claim for Service Connection for

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Secondary to Personal Trauma,

to solicit details of the claim.

Important:

Letters used by ROs to solicit details concerning a combat stressful incident are inappropriate for PTSD claims based on personal trauma.

e. Obtaining Service Records

Review the claim and all attached documents.

Request STRs and the entire personnel folder from the appropriate records custodian,

if necessary.

Note: Veterans Service Representatives (VSRs) must work closely with Rating Veterans Service Representatives (RVSRs) when developing personal trauma cases.

f. Problems Associated With Development

Because personal trauma is an extremely personal and sensitive issue

many incidents of personal trauma are not officially reported, and

the victims of this type of in-service trauma may find it difficult to produce evidence

to support the occurrence of the stressor.

It is often necessary to seek alternative evidence.

Reference: For information on alternative sources for information, see HYPERLINK "pt04_sp02_ch01_secD" \l "IV.ii.1.D.17.g"M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, 1.D.17.g.

STYLEREF "Map Title"

Developing Claims for Service Connection for PTSD Based on Personal Trauma, Continued

g. Alternative Sources for Information

Service records not normally requested may be needed to develop claims for service connection for PTSD based on personal trauma, including in-service sexual assault.

Responses to a request for information may identify alternative sources for information,

such as:

rape crisis center or center for domestic abuse

counseling facility

health clinic

family members or roommates

faculty members

civilian police reports

medical reports from civilian physicians or caregivers who may have treated the Veteran

either immediately following the incident, or sometime later

chaplain or clergy

fellow service persons, or

personal diaries or journals.

h. Obtaining Police Reports

Obtain reports, as appropriate, from

military police

shore patrol

a provost marshal’s office, or

other military law enforcement offices.

Note: Requests may be submitted via phone, fax, e-mail, or written correspondence,

as long as the request is properly documented in the claims folder