VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Not Cuased By Jet Noise

Rate this question

Theblaze

Question

Just completed 20 years with USAF.

Also just finished my initial C&P 2 weeks ago.

Got the C&P notes today and found what I think is a problem.

I've had annoying tinnitus for over a decade. It was first recorded in my SMRs 5 years ago, and was recorded in my SMRs 7 times after that prior to discharge. I believe that the tinnitus is a direct result of 16 years of flying Air Force jets coupled with being subjected to 7 inglorious months of rocket attack while on the ground in Iraq . Yet the C&P Audiologist opined that since to the hearing test he gave me came back essentially identical to my service entry hearing test (hurray I thought, one valuable faculty of mine that was undamaged!), that my tinnitus was less-likely-as-not to have been caused by military service.

I'd appreciate any advice at this point. I am still prior to that initial DECISION, so is there anything I should do right now, in light of this peek I've been able to get at the C&P notes?

Thaks so much!!!

Blaze

BTW, here is the exact transcription:

"There is no current objective evidence of hearing loss, threshold shift, or cochlear damage/dysfunction that I would expect to see if his tinnitus were from military noise exposure, and it is my clinical opinion that this Veterans tinnitus is less likely as not caused by or a result of military noise exposure."

I am really not an expert to give advice, but I am still fighting my denial for tinnutis. I went and got a Vet friendly IMO from a MD who was also an Audiologist. I am now waiting for the decision from the VA. All I can say is that you should fight all denials for all claims. I flew in HC130's for 7yrs and was an Aviation Machinist in the Coast Guard. I worked on an Air Force Base doing Line Maintenance next to the runway. During a hearing test performed by the Air Force(CG was to small to have own facilities on McClellan AFB) the Airmen came into the hearing booth and told me to quit pressing the button, the test had not started. I told them I was hearing tones. They told me it was tinnutis(This was in 1987, not much was known about it) but I don't think they ever noted it in my records. I will fight this claim to the end, because I know that my tinnutis started in the Coast Guard.

I know I was rambling, but just fight for what you believe in to be true! ;)

I am really not an expert to give advice, but I am still fighting my denial for tinnutis. I went and got a Vet friendly IMO from a MD who was also an Audiologist. I am now waiting for the decision from the VA. All I can say is that you should fight all denials for all claims. I flew in HC130's for 7yrs and was an Aviation Machinist in the Coast Guard. I worked on an Air Force Base doing Line Maintenance next to the runway. During a hearing test performed by the Air Force(CG was to small to have own facilities on McClellan AFB) the Airmen came into the hearing booth and told me to quit pressing the button, the test had not started. I told them I was hearing tones. They told me it was tinnutis(This was in 1987, not much was known about it) but I don't think they ever noted it in my records. I will fight this claim to the end, because I know that my tinnutis started in the Coast Guard.

I know I was rambling, but just fight for what you believe in to be true! ;)

i have been drawing 10% for tinnitus since 1979 . i worked flightline for 6 years on f-4 jets.

tinnitus has nothing to do with a hearing test ,threshold or any buzzer in a booth. you can have hearing loss and no tinnitus or you can have tinnitus with no hearing loss.

• HadIt.com Elder

Look in the phone book for audiologists that offer free hearing examinations. Many that sell hearing aides do this for free.

I had one write an IMO for my hearing loss and tinnitus after the RO denied my first claim. This helped me win my claim.

If your denied, appeal & ask for another exam or send in one of your own. Expect them to say & do anything to keep from paying you the compensation you deserve, even if it's 0%.

• HadIt.com Elder

The C&P Doc is an idiot and probably is like many of the VA C&P Docs thinks his job is to protect the VA from having to pay a claim.

If you enetered service with out tinnitus and its noted in your SMR's and you have a current DX for it that should be enough.

You might still wait to see what they do it should be soon usually 60 to 90 days but probably a no with an opinion like that. Its only 10% but its the principal of the thing

"There is no current objective evidence of hearing loss, threshold shift, or cochlear damage/dysfunction that I would expect to see if his tinnitus were from military noise exposure, and it is my clinical opinion that this Veterans tinnitus is less likely as not caused by or a result of military noise exposure."

Was this C & P done by and audiologist? If not they should not have been speculating on hearing loss etc at all.

( a point to raise if they deny)

And even if it was an audiologist -I agree with Peter and with what Dickj said here.

Tinnitus can be independent of any hearing loss problems- even the tinnitus commercials they have been showing on TV recently -reflect that point.

An independent audio evaluation would sure help but also there is plenty of good info on the net that medically combats the C & P report.In this situation any good internet printout from a good source would help you.

But an IMO would help the most.

Did the C & P doc offer any other possible etiology for the tinnitus?

Like did you play in a heavy metal hard rock band for many years after your service?

You did the right thing by getting a copy of that C & P as it tips you off to what to expect with time to get evidence to knock it down.This exam will most probably cause a denial of the tinnitus claim unless you can get some good evidence to them fast.

+

Edited by Berta